Single coil (Old School) P vs. Split Coil P ????

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by sheepdog, May 11, 2004.

1. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    Other than the shape difference, what is the actual difference in sound between a single coil and split coil P bass pickup?

Since it is a single coil pickup, is the main difference between the old P pickup and a J pickup the windings?
  2. Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    The old P single coil is what you see on the Sting bass and the original P bass. The famous split coil you see on the classic P is actually a humbucker. It is one of Leo's most ingenious designs among his long list of inventions. I have never played the original, Sting-style P bass long enough to get a real idea on how it sounds, but I have owned and played a Jazz with single coils. The humbuckers impart a sound not unlike what they do to regular 6-string guitars. Single coils are sharp and bright, while humbuckers are deep and heavy. By that I mean more body to the note; more fundamental. The humbucking P sits in the mix of the band like nothing else, IMO.
  3. kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    The humbucker wouldn't hum or buzz, hence the name.
  4. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL

I do realize the difference in humbuckers as far as the hum. Like I said, the main difference I was looking at was the actual sound of the pickups.
  5. kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
  6. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    one of the reasons I ask is for variations on the PJ pickup idea. Or even variations on the Stu Hamm JPJ (no, not him, the pickups...) idea.