1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Single Coil or Hum-Cancelling J-PUPS?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Stu Rose, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Greetings

Have a new bass coming and I have a day to decide on Lindy Fralin single or hum cancelling.

Mike at Mike Lull's says negligible difference the EQ will take care of any slight lack of high end. OTOH some say single coil clarity can't be matched and the noise is worth it?

What say you?

2. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Dec 3, 2012
    I love my Fralin singles. I never solo Jazz pickups, so the singles work well for me.

3. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I agree with Mike. Of course, I'm not a single-coil purist, so to me the very slight additional openness and high end of single coils does not compensate for the added RFI noise.

Hum-canceling pickups in a single-coil form factor gradually get better and better all the time... :meh:

MM

4. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    No noise, all the time. The only guitar or bass that I play live that does not have some sort of hum cancelling pickups is my Rickenbacker 360-12WB FG Ckbd, and that is only because RIC has not developed a "Toasterbucker" yet. But then, there's the Bardens....

5. I used to swear by the pure single coil tone and taught myself that the noise is no big deal. After using humbucking Js for a while , I switched back to my old J bass with single coils, and I cannot stand the buzz and hum, it is driving me crazy at home and at practice. Live though, it is no biggie.

6. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

I like the purity of Singles but prefer the quiet of my Ultra Jazz pickups on stage.
    I believe the Fralins are excellent and you would be well served with either

7. I like single coils, so the choice would be easy for me. If you don't have a strong preference for single coils, then why not go silent?

8. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    After experiencing no noise issues at all with my 51 P style bass I have decide that a single single-coil pickup will also live on my next bass.
    Neither live or in the studio have I had any issues at al thus far.
    I like! :)

9. I went with Singles, can changes up if I hate the noise. I have not had a J bass in six years or so, I will go pure and see what happens.

I have a EMG in my P bass and love the tone. I was thinking EMGs but not sure. Guys like Victor Wooten use them and they sound great but purest love J Singles.

10. Cadfael

Cadfael

Jan 4, 2013
    Germany, EU
    I often play with head phones ...
    So, I prefer the hum canceling Js ...

Mike is right that a singlecoil sounds different. To me it's not only the high frequencies but also the "transparency of tone". You get a "more direct / straighter" tone from SCs.

Even though my practise amp has a good noisegrate integrated - I prefer the humbuckers ...

11. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I prefer the single coils but hate the noise when moving the blend / balance in either direction. In 50/50, they're pretty much a humbucker so I found a way to "cheat" the system. I raise the bridge pup a smidgen and drop the neck pup by the same distance or more. The resulting tone has more clarity... sort of like a Jazz in 30/70...while maintaining the humbucker-esque noiseless quality. Requires some experimentation and the neck pup may end up quieter than the bridge pup which may be a problem if you like to solo the neck pup. In a blended 50/50 config, it sounds great.

Riis

12. interesting idea