Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

single coil or humbucker?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by electricdemon3, Aug 12, 2000.

1. electricdemon3

electricdemon3

Jul 28, 2000
    What do you guys prefer in a two pickup bass?

2. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Depends.. but for me personally.. Humbuckers baby!!!! :)

DM

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Two soapbars (humbuckers)
    Two J-type (single coil or humbucker)
    One soapbar and one J-type (split humbucker and single coil)

Warrior offers the reverse of the Lakland layout with a humbucker in the neck position and a single coil jazz at the bridge. Makes sense...but I don't like the way it looks. I also don't like slanted pickup installs.

Never really liked P-J combos.

4. Me neither. It's like mixing guinness with a fine moselle. Both have their place, but not in the same glass.

Andy

5. I think single coil pickups are misunderstood. Sometimes a raunchy buzzing pickup is alright. On my new custom bass I am going to put a pre-'57 Telecaster (P-Bass) single coil pickup in the bridge and a vintage humbucking P-bass in the middle.

6. biscuit

biscuit

Mar 6, 2000
    Virginia, USA
    My preference is for two of the same type of pickup (ie. two soapbars or two jazz style). I have found that a slanted pickup - with the G-string side toward the neck - gives a more even string to string balance especially on the bridge pickup. That is why many high end manufacturers like Warwick and Sadowsky and players like Leland Sklar slant their pickups. Players have gotten used to the traditional Fender styles pickup arrangement and have learned to compensate for their irregularities. However, slanted pickups are superior to the stock configuration.

7. electricdemon3

electricdemon3

Jul 28, 2000
    How about you guys' opinion on jazz single coils vs. soapbars? I think the middle position with single coils is a bit more bright and punchy. I don't have much experience with either since I have played a p-bass most my life.

8. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    That could be true:D I don't like the way they look...isn't that silly?:D

Not to start an argument (like I usually do;)) but I have several basses with great string to string response meaning, in my case, the B strings don't sound like they were added on later and the rest sound even (and great). Maybe if the pickups were made to look like they should be installed on an angle rather than a rectangle that looks correct perpendicular to the strings I wouldn't have a problem with it... Nah! JMHO

9. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I agree. People tend to listen to pickups solo instead of where it really counts, in the mix. Sometimes that raw unrefined sound is just what I need to cut through. It took me literally years to really realized I wasn't happy with super refined, boutique sound. I'm much happier now.