1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Single coil p bass pickup mounting

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by micguy, Nov 1, 2017.

1. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Hi folks!

Long term poster here. I've built/rewired for others a lot of instruments, but I just ran across something I haven't done before. All the basses I have, the pickups are pushed up by foam, held down with screws. Now I'm building a 51 P style bass - with a single coil form factor pickup (OK, technically it's hum cancelling, but the shape is the same)

Looking at the ears on the pickup, I'm wondering if foam would (since it's pushing in a different place) put too much torque on the pickup mounting ears. So.... anyone that's done a bunch of these, what's the best way to mount a single coil P bass pickup? How is this done?

2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I would thank that if there is no pickup ring or pickguard to mount the pickup underneath from, then, you would still be using wood screws, with foam under the pickup like how Fender usually does it.

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  3. I have one of the Fender reissue single coil pbass pickups. It’s mounted with pickup screws and foam under it. Its been fine for at least 10 years.

4. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    They can be pretty wobbily. At least mine is. Never had a problem in the 15+ years I've had it, though.

I've read that it's easy to catch your G string under the edge of the bobbin and rip the screw out if you down-pick aggressively.

Not the best pickup design from that perspective, even though I love how it sounds.

5. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    I too have a bass I set up with the single coil using the foam and wood screw method without any issues. You should be fine

6. Yeah, I was worried about catching the top bobbin and accidentally pulling the pickup apart for a while but, at this point, it doesn’t owe me anything. In the unlikely event that happened, I’d just go pickup shopping. Does sound great though. Currently, I’ve got it wired through a Varitone. Surprisingly, it is fairly quiet. There has only been one place where there was too much 60 cycle hum for me to be able to use it.