1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Single Coil P + Jazz Bridge?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by David2501, Feb 18, 2018.

1. David2501

David2501

Aug 6, 2017
    I've poked around and didn't find a lot about this, but has anyone run a set up with an old school P pickup with a jazz pickup on the bridge? Basically like a PJ, but theoratically it would eliminate hum (not my primary concern honestly).
    Would the pickups be out of balance?
    Any thoughts/ideas on this?

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i suppose it could "work" in that they'd be reasonably balanced volume-wise and if wound right would hum-cancel together.

i don't see the advantage over a regular jazz bass setup though.

3. David2501

David2501

Aug 6, 2017
    Would it be able to retain it's P character?

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    if you mean single-coil P, which is way different from a regular split-coil P, then sure, of course.

to my ear the single coil P is mostly a barkier, more spiky neck J sound.

5. David2501

David2501

Aug 6, 2017
    That's kind of what I'm going for, single coil P in the place of a jazz neck pickup. It'd give me some more edge to that sound I'd think

6. reddog

reddog Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Philly burbs
    often wondered - for looks reasons - about 2 single coils, with reversed whatever to combat hum. been done a couple times. not sure of the result.

7. David2501

David2501

Aug 6, 2017
    The idea is primarily cosmetic, but having the old school P sound would definitely be a unique addition I'd think.

reddog likes this.
  8. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    That would be interesting, but I think that you should find either the P or bridge pickup reverse-wound of the other. The noise of both pickups will double and it will be unbrearable.
    You may have to get a custom wound set...or find a bridge-sized reverse wound jazz pickup...some companies, like Kiesel use the same size jazz pickup for neck and bridge position, and reverse-wind the neck pickup and label it so....you can still use it in the bridge position since the cover is the same size.

9. David2501

David2501

Aug 6, 2017
    That's a smart reminder I wouldn't have thought of otherwise, thanks!
    Not sure when exactly I'll come through with this idea, but it's one that's been on my mind for a little while now.

10. Of course several makers (Fralin and Seymour IIRC) offer humbucking pickups in the original single coil early Precision shape. I've always wondered what a Jazz setup using two of those old school P pickups would sound like.