1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

single coil passive Barts?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Sinister, Apr 29, 2003.

1. Sinister

Sinister

Apr 27, 2003
    WV
    I'm looking for a nice growely/vintage jazz bass type sound, was recommended Bartolinis... I'm thinking about maybe 9SU's or 9J's... kinda would preferr the single coil sound, I dont really care about the background noise... One thing I saw tho is that the 9J's are singlecoils, so do they sound like P bass split coils? well I guess I"m just looking for opinions on these, I think I'm leaning toward the 9SU's, thanks for any imput, warnings, whathaveyou..
    Mel

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Not to be a prick, but could you explain us how you came to think that a single coil jazz pickup would sound somewhat like a split P humbucker ?

3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
  4. Sinister

Sinister

Apr 27, 2003
    WV

DUHH sorry... I meant to say that the 9J's were splitcoils. Eh sorry... brainfart:rolleyes:

5. Sinister

Sinister

Apr 27, 2003
    WV
    I wouldnt mind having a pair of them, but I hear the quality is very inconsistant...:meh:

6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Bartolini single coils are really quiet. For one thing they are properly shielded :rolleyes:

I have a 9S that came in a used bass I bought. I thought it was humbucking until I contacted the company to find out what model it was (to get another one).

7. Jon Maghini

Jon Maghini Commercial User

Aug 15, 2002
    USA Terryville CT.
    Owner / Builder M Basses
    I use the Bartolini 9J's in all my Standard Series Basses with passive tone controls and I find they they sound great, They are quiet and very responsive.... Check out the new web sitehttp://www.MBasses.com

8. aaron f.

aaron f.

Oct 21, 2000
    Manitoba
    I use a set of 9j's in my passive jazz along with a BA2 bridge. The barts are great plus they are dead silent.

9. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    I think the DiMarzio Model J's sound most like a P pickups. Maybe because they are humbuckers, like a P. Single coil pickups are very un-P-like.