single coil passive Barts?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Sinister, Apr 29, 2003.

1. Sinister

Apr 27, 2003
    I'm looking for a nice growely/vintage jazz bass type sound, was recommended Bartolinis... I'm thinking about maybe 9SU's or 9J's... kinda would preferr the single coil sound, I dont really care about the background noise... One thing I saw tho is that the 9J's are singlecoils, so do they sound like P bass split coils? well I guess I"m just looking for opinions on these, I think I'm leaning toward the 9SU's, thanks for any imput, warnings, whathaveyou..
  2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Not to be a prick, but could you explain us how you came to think that a single coil jazz pickup would sound somewhat like a split P humbucker ?
  3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
  4. Sinister

Apr 27, 2003

DUHH sorry... I meant to say that the 9J's were splitcoils. Eh sorry... brainfart:rolleyes:
  5. Sinister

Apr 27, 2003
    I wouldnt mind having a pair of them, but I hear the quality is very inconsistant...:meh:
  6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Bartolini single coils are really quiet. For one thing they are properly shielded :rolleyes:

I have a 9S that came in a used bass I bought. I thought it was humbucking until I contacted the company to find out what model it was (to get another one).
  7. Jon Maghini

Jon Maghini Commercial User

Aug 15, 2002
    USA Terryville CT.
    Owner / Builder M Basses
    I use the Bartolini 9J's in all my Standard Series Basses with passive tone controls and I find they they sound great, They are quiet and very responsive.... Check out the new web site
  8. aaron f.

aaron f.

Oct 21, 2000
    I use a set of 9j's in my passive jazz along with a BA2 bridge. The barts are great plus they are dead silent.
  9. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    I think the DiMarzio Model J's sound most like a P pickups. Maybe because they are humbuckers, like a P. Single coil pickups are very un-P-like.