Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Single Coil Precision Pup.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by The Golden Boy, Mar 2, 2004.

1. I have a bass that I installed a single coil Precision pickup in. In other words a '51-'57 style Precision (kind of like a Sting bass pickup). Anyway, it's really strong, I've routed out about as low as I believe is practical, but it's still strong, any ideas how to tame that pickup?

2. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    Well, the only thing I can think of is string height. If your strings are too close to the pick-up, it'll cause a hot signal.

OR--

Maybe the pick-up that you had in there before generated a really weak signal and your ears have been conditioned that way?? ;)

3. Thanks for replying!!

The bass is a Gibson EB-0 that's seen much better days. I've routed down about as far as I can go without too much fear of going out the back of the guitar. The pickup is sitting around 3/4" away from the string, much farther away than any other pickups, active or passive, that I have. I realize these things have their own sound, and I think of (what was that Live Ted Nugent album???) < that bass sound, and it's kind of doing the same thing. I would normally NEVER consider this, but is there a resistor/cap combo that would "pad" the output on the pickup BEFORE the volume pot that wouldn't affect the tone of the pickup?

Again, thanks for replying.

4. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    3/4 of an inch is pretty high. I would think that you wouldn't get much of a signal at all. Maybe the pick-up is defective? As far as the modification that you suggest, I'm not well versed in "non-traditional" mods. You might want to check with a guitar tech.

5. Thanks!

Those pickups are just really ballsy, too ballsy for their own good, however, this bass is really a project that I've been doing for the past 19 years. It's my first "real" bass, and it's never sounded "good" but it plays like a dream. When I first got it, the headstock had been snapped off at least twice, and it's come off 3 times since I've owned it (oddly enough, I've never been the one to break it off...) The bridge is a G&L and there's a large expanse of wood missing between the bridge and the pickup and it's been replaced with screwed in pieces of plywood and duct tape. It's my ugly little monster, the key word is "my." Actually, "ugly" really works on it. And "monster" is pretty self explanitory...

It sounds better than it has and I'll putz for a while, or maybe compress the hell out of it...