1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Single Coil Soapbars for Roscoe 5 String - Limited Options..

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by neptune, Dec 31, 2016.

1. neptune

neptune

Feb 2, 2001
    Maryland
    I'm looking to swap out the dual coils in my SKB 5 for some singles. My dilemma: Roscoe's use of six string-sized housings on their fiver's has ruled out my first choice, Aguilar Super Singles, since Aguilar doesn't do custom orders.
    So, I think my next options are either Nordy Jazz Bars or Bart Singularities. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of sound clips for either of these available. Does anyone have experience out there with either of these? Thanks for the help.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Nordstrand will make whatever you want. Big singles would kill in that bass and would be my only choice (other than Big Splits) for a single coil.

4StringTheorist likes this.
  3. neptune

neptune

Feb 2, 2001
    Maryland
    Thanks mmbongo, I've got an old Jazz fretless with the Nord NJ4SEs in it. It excels at both live and recording, which had me leaning towards the 'traditional' singles wiring/magnets, but I'll revisit some clips of the Big Singles. Thanks much.

4. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

Nordstrand Big Blades will work without a custom order also, because of the blade design working for any string number and spacing.

5. neptune

neptune

Feb 2, 2001
    Maryland
    Hmm, interesting point. I didn't realize those were single coils(?). Likely a plus for string bends? I'll look into those also. Thanks 4ST.

6. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    If you're looking for other options, Qtuners come to mind.

7. 4StringTheorist

Yep, they're single coils. And no matter how far you bend the strings, the mag field's still the same, so no dropoff there, yeah.

8. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I was going to recommend the Big Blades too.

9. neptune

neptune

Feb 2, 2001
    Maryland
    Thanks all for the pointers. I think whichever route I take will still require a custom order due to the necessity of the 6 string soap bar size, but that's not a showstopper. It appears the Q Tuners are dual coil, though the website only specifies 'two magnets'. In the meantime I'll get more educated on all three suggestions and make a call.
    I'm still curious about the Bart Singularities, though I wasn't a fan of the Roscoe-proprietary Barts that came in the bass.
    REALLY appreciate the insight fellas.

10. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    The Qtuners are sidewinders. They use two coils for humbucking, mounted sideways, and one central sensing bar. So they have essentially the same sensing aperture as a single-coil, and therefore essentially the same tonal signature. But with no hum.

11. 4StringTheorist

Nahh. You have lots of options that won't require custom. Any single coil, stack coil or dual coil without polepieces. Just not split coil. Just buy the 6 string size pickup and use it.

Nordstrand Big Blade
    Aguilar DCB
    Any single coil or dual coil from Bartolini

There are lots of choices that won't need a custom order from you. ^^

12. neptune

neptune

Feb 2, 2001
    Maryland
    Wow....I hadn't thought of that! That opens up the options considerably.

13. 4StringTheorist

Yep. 'No split coil' is a very important rule to follow. A 6-string split pickup will have a coil gap at the dead center, right where your 5-string's A string is.

'No polepieces' is less important in general than a lot of people think it is, but due to the fact that these pickups are mounted at an angle and for a different string count, I'm betting you might get into a situation of certain strings being a lot louder than others due to wherever the polepieces end up. So I'd stick to that rule too.

Other than that though, single coil pickups, dual coil humbuckers and stack coil humbuckers are all A-OK. Since you're looking for single coil specifically, the Nordstrand Big Blades or those Bartolini Singularities both sound like tremendous options. :)

14. neptune

neptune

Feb 2, 2001
    Maryland
    I wish that there was more available info on the Singularities, but on the chance I'm just one of those folks that just doesn't have an affinity for 'the Bart sound' I think I'll go with the Big Blades. That said, the only hands-on Bart experience I've had is with the Roscoe Bart's that came in the bass....and I wasn't a fan. The installed Bart preamp in it may be a factor though.

I really appreciate everyone's time and invaluable input.

15. PeaveyPlayer

PeaveyPlayer Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    I've been wanting a 5 string jazz
    So I plan to covert it with emg 45 j pickups

My 4 string jazz bass is 28 inches from behind the nut to the middle of neck pickup

And 31 1/2 inches to the middle of the bridge pickup

If I were to flip the EMG pickups it would about 1/8 off, would it still retain that jazz bass tone

And should I would flip the pickup because the coil is on the bottom half

Or should I go with Bart singularity

16. Here is the only video I have been able to find of the Bart Singularities.

17. neptune

neptune

Feb 2, 2001
    Maryland
    Thanks winegamd. Looks like a nice bass. I saw that clip awhile back, and didn't find anything remarkable in the tone, but some of that may be a combination of how it was recorded, the player's technique, etc.

I would need more exposure to the Singularities before I'd order a set. There's just not enough available info. on those currently.

18. To me the Nordstrands would be a better investment. I have heard Nordstrands sound like a Bart, but not the other way around. If you want a focused growl, go with the Jazz Bars. If you want a more modern tone, the Big Blades. Carey and company can tweak their designs to get exactly what you want, and usually for free or little cost.

19. neptune

neptune

Feb 2, 2001
    Maryland
    You nailed my two likely contenders so far. Do you think either one of those would win out for a good passive tone? I figure that's the bottom line. Thanks!

20. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    OK, not to be "that guy", but can you not mod the electronics of your bass to split the coils of the existing pickups? Seems like a potentially simpler fix.