Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Single coil vs. humbucker config (Jazz vs. Rock)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Knavery, Mar 22, 2004.

What is favorite pickup configuration?

Poll closed Apr 1, 2004.
  1. Single coil with passive electronics

9 vote(s)
    23.7%
  2. Single coil with active electronics

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
  3. Humbuckers with passive electronics

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
  4. Humbuckers with active electronics

23 vote(s)
    60.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Ok... My Pedulla 5 string J-2000 has what looks like two single coil Bartolina J-pups and my Yamaha RBX765A has two Yamaha active humbuckers that remind me a bit of EMG's. I have been playing guitar for about 13 years. I wouldn't be caught dead playing a guitar with single coil pick-ups. I've always played those with the two humbucker config or with a two humbucker with single in the middle config. My question is this.

What is better for what? Would my Pedulla be good at playing Dream Theater type stuff or is the jazz bass strictly for jazz? I know more about guitars than basses. I love the way my Pedulla sounds, but the one thing I DID notice was that the Yamaha has a much more crispy response for popping and pulling while the Pedulla sounds more warm and piano-like. I'm more of a rock player, but would like to branch out in different areas. Just wondering if I made a mistake with the Pedulla.

Knavery

2. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I like the wide open throaty sound acive Jazz PUPs, espeicially for Rock. Maybe Boogiebass or Brad can talk the Jazz (Dream Theater) aspect. A neck position Jazz PUP can get nice and smooth though.

3. Use whichever bass sounds good to you!

A Fender Jazz bass sounds good for jazz; it also sounds good for everything else.

Experiment. ;)

My $.02

Mike

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Whatever works, and some stuff won't but you'll know that right away. I like throwing something that sounds different but is passable into the mix. There are so many factors that influence the sound of a given bass so I don't think the pup configuration really makes much difference - and I have convertible basses I can throw any pup configuration into and a stock of outboard preamps to do the same. But I do think the particular pups you use makes a definite different.