1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Single Coils and Noise Gates - Need Advice

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Wayne Gulley, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Wayne Gulley

Wayne Gulley

Oct 2, 2005
    Hello, I know allot of you have basses with single coils and are irritated by 60 cycle noise. I just bought some Lindy Fralins and guess what, they still make a little noise (with both pick ups on full - Fender Jazz bass). Can anyone provide their recommendation for the best noise gate suppression pedal for single coil basses? Thanks.

2. rockerc

rockerc

Mar 4, 2006
    Rockwall, Texas
    the boss ns2 is pretty good. but you might also want to look into an EQ pedal if you don't already have one. and lower the frequencies that are causing noise. i use the boss ns2 and boss GEB7 bass EQ and lowered the 2 treble knobs on the EQ to 3 when i first got it. and then i had 0 noise. also had the 3 mids on 10 and the bass frequencies anywhere from 5-7.

noise gate pedals typically only stop the noise when you aren't playing. BUT they do lower some noise even when playing but not all of it. But working together with an EQ you can work towards getting noise out.

also make sure you aren't overdriving any pedals that you have by raising gain on those. gain on pedals adds noise so make sure you have the gain on pedals not high. and instead raise amp's volume.