Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Single cut basses, fill me in please

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Blazer, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    It seems that the Fodera "Contrabass" of Anthony Jackson has started a new fashion in how a Bass guitar should look. Many of the custom builders have adapted it to their own line.

[​IMG]

I know Anthony Jackson plays while sitting down and I know he's a WIDE fellow so for him that peanut shape makes sense. I also am aware that the back of the bass where the neck joins the body is scalloped so he has unlimited acces to all frets.

But in the way I see it, it would be a distaster to play a bass like that strapped on. There's a reason why Leo Fender didn't give the Precision bass the same body outline of the Telecaster guitar, which appeared around the same time as the P-bass, the long upperhorn made for good balance when strapped on and gave plenty of acces to the upper frets.

Like I said, for someone like Anthony Jackson who plays seated, the single cut bass makes perfect sense but I bet that many of you who own a single cut bass DON'T play seated. So I'd like to know what the hubbub is about, why do people want to have a single cut bass, what's the attraction?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think they are fine for playin standing because the upper horn is actually the same length as a regular dual cut out, its just, not cut out, but it provides the same axis for the strap.

3. I like pretty much every single cut, have you ever seen how big this bass is? It's huuuuge, it's actually reallllly wide. I still love it though

4. Here's a pic of Anthony himself playing it, does anyone know if he's short? http://www.epifani.com/gallery/Anthony%20Jackson%20Digs%20in!.jpg

5. Some of the mystique can be attributed to AJ himself using a single cut. Nothing wrong with that. But there are other advantages to a single cut depending on your viewpoint. Alot of opinions on this subject. A search will yield alot of them.

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The new style has been around about 10 years.

I'm guessing you haven't played a singlecut. I can understand how you might think it's somehow different from playing a similar double cutaway.

It isn't. It's the same.

And you'd lose that bet :D . I play sitting and standing, on some gigs equally so. It has nothing to do with the cutaways on the bass. Playing-wise, they physically make no difference, generally speaking. Unless of course you wrap your thumb around the neck above the 12th fret... who does that?

The hubbub is that it looks different. It tends to look expensive.. and exotic. Some people like that. Some don't. Just as it should be.

Anthony plays seated because that's what he likes. He played seated with a doublecut too. Same thing.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

At church, I play sitting about 50% of the time.

On gigs, I stand 100% of the time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. For some reason I thought you sold that Nordie...you still have it?

9. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    My Marchlewski is really small and light for an SC... only 1-1/4" thick. I love this body style. I also love Nordies... I WILL have one someday.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Yes you definitely need to play one, cause those assumptions definitely don't hold. My singlecut totally balances fine, and the end pin is not far off at all from where the end pin really is on any fender.

11. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Pure stylistic attraction for me.. I like the way the shape looks and there's no difference (to me) in playing it while standing than with my double-cut basses.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands

"there's no difference (to me) in playing it while standing than with my double-cut basses" :eyebrow:

I'd like to see you strap that bass on, since it has no strapbuttons.

13. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Recessed strap locks... I don't like "bumbs" on my basses..

;)

You can just barely see one above the neck laminates in the top pic.

14. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.

It has recessed straplocks...

15. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Oh, okay. My bad.

16. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Nice bass Mark. What a great top!

17. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands

Nope, he's a big fellow, his Fodera is a HUGE bass.

18. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Like Brad said, the only difference at all between playing a singlecut and a double cut bass (whether standing or sitting) is that you can't wrap your thumb all the way around the neck and over the fretboard past the 12th fret. And if you're doing that anyways, you've got some severe technique problems.

My singlecuts balance on a strap better than any other basses I've played.

19. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Thanks Joel! :)

Chris (Stambaugh) does fantastic work!!!

20. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Anthony is short-statured and that bass really isn't huge.