Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Single Cut body

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bassturtle, Jun 16, 2005.

1. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Recently I've been gasin for a single cut away bass. However, it's something I'd like to piece together myself - I need a "stay inside the AC this summer" project :) Finish work, pu routing, etc would not be necessary. I'd rather do that myself.

Anyone know of someone making single cut bodies fit for bolt on necks? Any of you builders interested in something like this? Is it even worth doing a bolt on single cut? Do you think I'm pretty?

2. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    The only single cut-bolt on's I've seen were from Veillette, and from the looks of it they are not something you can do piecemeal, there's a lot more to line up and build together than there is in soemthing that uses a stock Fender Spec neck pocket.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Hmmm...Okay thanks.

I have an all wenge deluxe jazz 5 neck that I've been kind of itching to throw on something. The problem is, a single cut would be the only thing I could think of that I'd be really interested in having right now.

You see anyway to make something like that work? I might just be trying to fit a square peg in a round hole :meh:

4. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    It seems like you could come up with a design that would drop a standard Fender-style neck into a singlecut body shape. Actually mating it to the body would mean custome fitting the neck to the top body wing. It would be pretty darn freaky!

5. Benavente also does singlecut boltons.

if you're making everything yourself, then it's not more complicated than a regular bolt on, just you won't be able to use stock templates. There's a little less of the neck to carve, and there's a bigger pocket, then it's all the same. If you already have a premade neck, then don't do it. Doing a singlecut is worth it. No, you're not pretty, as a matter of fact, you're the ugliest sob I've ever had the disgust of laying my eyes on ...I loathe you! ;)

6. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Well, since I don't have the tools or the knowhow I was kind of looking for someone who'd be able to take the neck I have and make a body for it. Am insane? You guys have any recommendations?

:bawl: My mom says you're wrong! :bawl:

7. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I paid her to say that.

8. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    like others have said, it's not going to really work out to well. The problem others have been hinting at is that the area were the singlecut and the neck would normally blend together is already shaped on the warmoth neck, so any singlecut with a longer upper bout than tele-bass will be ackward at best.

BTW- did you get that warmoth neck from me?

9. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    bassturtle, it's so funny you bring this up....i have a warwick/kremple that came with a 6 string neck and a 5 string wide neck (also came with 2 bridges and 2 tail pieces as well)....i have been wanting someone to build me a single cut body to replace the neckdiving Corvette....

:)

10. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    :bawl:

11. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Okies...and no...I didn't get the neck from you :)

12. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    What's the deal with the single cuts? I never thought much of them until the past couple of months. Now it's all I want - THEY'RE THE SEX!

13. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    the reason i like them is they tend (not all) to place the strap button closer to the 12th fret mark, if not passed it....

neck dive is a big pet peeve for me....and my corvette body just doesn't do it for me; i really do enjoy the tone and "ease" of playing (tonewise), but am tired of having to sit down for a gig when i want to use my six (i'm a lefty, and i found this bass and extra gear for dirt cheap). my jazz just molds to my body, gut and all - i just wish my 6 would feel the same way. :(

:)

i wonder what the going rate for a SC body would be...hmmm :D

14. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
  15. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I really paid this thread no attention at first, the poster has no avatar... :p

I was talking to our own Hambone a while back, and he told me that he has figured out how to make a SC body with a traditional bolt on neck. Hit him up for help.

16. stroy05

stroy05 Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Basses, Noble Amps, Aguilar Amps, JHAudio Inears
  17. Skelf

Skelf Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2005
    Moffat D&G Scotland
    Builder AC Guitars.
    My prototype singlecut.

18. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Dang you, stubi! You know this is a sensitive subject for me!

Will do! Thanks.

19. you don't necessarily have to have the top horn bolted to the neck, you can just have it running on top of the neck. This way you wouldn't have to change anything from making a normal bolt on except that you would have to make sure that the top horn is cut so it runs exactly with the neck. I remember a website that a guy made and he showed how to do it. I can't find the link right now, though. Google around and you'll eventually find it. :) :bassist:

20. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    My Le Compte VBX 6 string has a bolt-on neck it's a singlecut that Bud usually does as a set neck.