Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

single cut design

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by mollin man, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Hi everybody!... (hi doctor Nick!)

i'm planing on making a single-cut fretted 6 string and i fave no clue how to shape the joint where the neck meets the upper bout.

any sugestions would be helpful...

thanks,
    Mollin Man.

2. Do you mean that you don't know what the shape should be, or how to do the shaping?

3. I dont know what the shape should be

4. Ok, well that's not too difficult. The first thing I would do is look at a few examples of singlecut basses from various luthiers. I'd want to look at Nordstrand, JP Basses, Fodera, Benavente and Elrick for sure.

Here's some examples in the order I listed:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope that helps.

5. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    I do it quite differently now:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. this is all great guys but i think i'm in over my head on this one. this is only my 2nd instument and my 1st neck through.
    so mabye i should go with the regular two horn arrangement... just to be safe...

but thanks anyways and sorry i wasted your time...

does anybody know whrer i can find a 6 string monorail bridge? :p

7. thanks for the info on the bridges. It really helps alot.

I've finished the design for my bass last night. it's only pencil and paper cause i don't have the skills to draw it on computer. I'd like to know what you pple think about it. any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mollin Man

(P.S. yes i know it looks like Claypool's bass!)

[​IMG]

8. Hey JP,
    a question about why you changed your approach to carving the neck/body joint on singlecuts ...was that done out of necessity for a simpler process or does it actually have a functional purpose? IMHO your previous approach was much more elegant.

9. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    You got two reasons right. And one missing lol

First it's a bit simpler cause it can be roughed with a router.
    Second it's functinnal as, just like on my bolt on models this time of joint with the 1/4 round "drives" your thumn behind the neck while accessing the higher notes.
    Third, It's just different from the way others do it :D

About it beeing more or less elegant, no problem on your opinion. I myslef prefer the new joint.

Peace,
    JP

10. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    This is how Marchlewski does it...

[​IMG]

11. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Yeah Jon, your bass definitely inspired me to change my way of doing it.

12. Hey Mollin Man, You should go out and buy some graph paper and draw your sesign to scale. It will give you a better idea of how it will look and will make you rethink your design. I did this using graph paper and made it so each box equal 1".

[​IMG]

But for a freehand design you did a pretty good job. Even though I'm not really a fan of single cut basses like the ones above with the ultra long top "horn", I think that design would look better as a single cut.

13. thanks for the sugestion. i'm gonna try it again tonight with graph paper this time (i'm sure i have some around here somewheres :p )

14. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    whoa!^^^^

looks good jp!

15. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Here's a closer picture of an Elrick.

[​IMG]

16. here it is!! attempt #2!! i drew it in pencil, traced it in pen, and erased the pencil cause with just the pencil, it was hard to see.
    [​IMG]
    the bottom edge near the controls will be more rounded that in the pic.