Single Cut?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Juneau, Jul 16, 2004.

1. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Im just curious if there is a practical reason for the singlecut body shape? I can see how some might find the shape appealing asthetic-wise. I dont particularly dig the shape myself but was just wondering if there was a reason other than looks that it was done?
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If the bass is a set neck or neck through design, the theory is that you get a straighter, more rigid neck, all the way up, due to the fact that the neck and body have a much larger contact area. If it is a bolt on, unless the upper 'horn' is bolted to the side of the neck, it is purely cosmetic.
  3. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Right on, thanks for the info, makes sense
  4. DW

Jun 22, 2000
    I'm curious if anyone has actually done a series of deflection measurements on different basses to determine if the neck really is stiffer on these. Is the deflection at the first fret really any less? Possible, but a lot of the solid connection is carved away, and the treble side is still wide open.

But I suppose it's much easier to jump on the bandwagon than actually justify the claims about the design.

Wouldn't convince me anyway. I think they're hideously ugly. Only way you could make 'em any uglier is by putting a spalted buckeye burl top on them.