Single-Cutaway Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Danny Adair, Dec 19, 2001.

1. [b]YES![/b] I love it!

138 vote(s)
  2. [b]NO![/b] Burn it!

96 vote(s)
  3. I should know, I [b][u]am[/u][/b] a mansion and a yacht

13 vote(s)
  1. I'm just curious to see what the consensus is on this particular style of bass. Although they do seem pretty faddish at the moment, I must admit that I'm personally quite interested in this body style.

If there are any current or former owners of basses with this body style, I would really appreciate any info on the maker, pros/cons, instrument balance when standing and seated, etc.

For those with question marks forming over their heads, the most notable proponent of this style seems to be Fodera, although Elrick's deserves mention as well.

Here is Fodera's Emperor II:

Here is Fodera's Anthony Jackson model:

As always, thanks for your opinions and experiences!
  2. I don't dig those above that much...

I've a soft spot for a Gibson Les Paul bass....yum!
  3. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Funny, just the opposite - I don't really have a thing for old-school single cutaways like the LP bass, but the new designs I think are pretty nice. Some more than others. That walnut Emperor II up there is one of my all-time faves.

I don't have any firsthand experience with one, but I don't see why it would be a bad thing unless you hook your thumb over the neck, and who does that on a 6-string above the 12th fret? (or anywhere for that matter, *gasp* :) )
  4. I don't mind the Les Paul style bass, but the ones up above **** me

The les paul is actually a body shape which suits the single cutaway.

The ones up the top look to me like double cutaway basses which missed a few vital stages on the construction line...
  5. I'm in the process of buying a single cutaway six if the trial period is a success. It's the 36" scale I was inquiring about in another thread. R basses is another beautiful maker. I don't know anything about them though as they don't have a web page up yet. The owner has been helpful via emails. Check them out. They appear on occasionally.

I like the traditional classical guitar aspects of this shape. I've heard good things about the neck stability too. It seems likely that it couldn't hurt!
    I'll let you know in a couple of weeks what I think. Jim T.
  6. stroy05

stroy05 Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Basses, Noble Amps, Aguilar Amps, JHAudio Inears
    I have an Elrick single cutaway 5 string. It is wonderful. The top mass of the body that connects to the neck helps with the tone and body of the B string. It also helps with the stability of the neck.

And it also looks sooooooo goooooooood!

7. I couldn't afford a Fodera and I wanted to try a few different things so I built one myself :)

So I guess you could say I like the single-cutaway design!

Must take some better pics, without the crumpled duvet in the background :eek:

8. I'm not really keen on them to be honest! Althought I do like Les Pauls (the guitars, not the basses!)

Weird huh??
  9. Stroy05 ... That thing is SWEET!

And Louis - That thing is even Sweeter!! And the fact that you built it yourself is the most impressive part! I would prefer a more traditional head, but man that is cool looking!

Nice job! I imagine they sound real good with that extra wood ...

10. Newsted

Jun 24, 2001
    ..........this not my style i will never play with somthing like this is cant say:p
  11. G

Apr 12, 2000
    The Fodera Anthony Jackson model pictured is the most beautiful bass I have ever seen.
  12. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Bravo Louis;
    you built a beauty! I think I shall snatch that JPEG for my archive.
    nice work!
  13. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Also check out Benevente and Stambaugh Designs. They also make a nice single cutaway.
  14. I figured that there would be plenty of interest and also plenty of, "Not in a million freakin' years!" Like my dad always said, "That's why they make chocolate and vanilla." Wise words, IMHO.

Brandin - that Elrick is a beauty! How much did she set you back (PM me if you're bashful)? How does she balance?

Jim T. - From whom are you purchasing your single-cut? A custom job? Inquring minds want to know...

For all of you in favor of the single cut, what do you think about these:

They're from Chris Stambaugh, a small luthier located in New Hampshire. You can find his website here. I'm becoming more and more serious about commissioning one for myself in the not-too-distant future. I've spoken with him once and I found him to be very nice and open to discussing different ideas.
  15. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    LeFay also makes single cutaway basses.

I have been thinking of having Dave Pushic make me a single cutaway 5, but it's still an embryo of an idea. I've made too many bass purchases in the last week to even consider it. Those Stambaughs are gorgeous, though. I think I like 'em better than the Foderas.

I like Les Paul Basses, but I'm not too crazy about G&L ASAT basses. The L2000 is where it's at for me.
  16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I let one of these go on eBay a year or so ago. Kicked myself when I found out later it was a light Amber color and the eBay photo was very Green... the reason I didn't pursue it.
  17. Do you remember approximately what the final price was on that bass? Just curious. I saw the eBay picture - I would have passed as well. And I would have kicked myself, too.

I was turned on to Stambaugh by the original owner of that bass, Andrew Dow. He intimated that the cost to re-create that instrument would fall in the $2,200 to 2,500 range - apparently that would be on the higher end of Stambaugh's basses. The snakewood fingerboard was the reason for the relatively high price.

I've kicked around the idea of going to Dave Pushic, but the basses that I have seen from his shop have yet to really grab me. Then again, the designs come from the customers, so maybe they're the culprit of my indifference. His prices certainly have grabbed me, though.

BTW - Stambaugh's dual-cutaway basses are pretty sexy, too.
  18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    It went for $1500 on eBay. I've talked to Chris since then, the price for a new one was very reasonable. Everytime I go to commision one, something else pops up like a Lakland or Surine or Clover or Elrick or MTD or...

They're still on my short list, along with a fretted Elrick NJS 5, Curbow Petite, F Bass and Crescent Moon.
  19. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    Kenneth Lawrence makes a cool semi-single cutaway bass, called the "Brase":

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  20. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer, Builder