Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Single cutaway basses

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kirbywrx, May 4, 2002.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    OK, i was looking at this picture in the Basses forum, and i just had to think, why do they have such a huge...chunk...of wood above the neck? I cant see the point, its just My opinion, but i think its ugly. ANy others agree with me? I have nothing against them, im sure they are beautiful basses, but why is there such a huge bulge of wood above the neck??

2. Actually, I think they look kinda nice...

3. I think it looks rather tasteless... Their other basses look much better.

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    As I said in the other recent Fodera thread: There is a thin line between "classy" and "tacky". :D

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    To answer your question:

[​IMG]

This is what is called a single cutaway bass. Instead of cutting out an upper horn they just leave the wood in place to increase the neck to body contact. It's supposed to improve sustain.

There are plenty of ingle cutaway guitars (Les Paul, etc) You're just not used to seeing basses like that.

6. Hmmm...
    But you also have different shapes for single cutaway bodies, like the difference between a Les Paul and a Tele. The horn that's left untouched on the Foderas is more...sort of...elongated? And has a much more gradual decline onto the top of the neck. :)confused: Does anyone besides me understand what I'm trying to say here?) Unlike the Les Paul & Tele-style body guitars where that upper "horn" is rather short.

Is it an acquired taste? Acquired tolerance? Or just...there? I think I'm rambling now, so I'll stop. :p

7. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    yeah,i hate those designs.they probably sound awesome though.

8. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I've said it before, I'll say it again, some of the boutique basses are just plain god aweful ugly.

Then there are the ones that are beautiful.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Anthony Jackson had his designed that way to keep the neck as flat as possible, according to an interview I read.

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Right, Jeff. He pretty much started the latest phase of single cuts and it's kind of a benchmark. People seem to either love them or hate them. I like the idea and I've seen many basses that I wouldn't mind having, like Elrick, Stambaugh, Fodera, Benavente, etc.

Remember when people thought a through the body neck was required on a high dollar instrument?;)

11. i hate the ones posted so far, but i like G&L ASATs a lot.

12. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I've not been a fan of single cutaway basses, not so much from an aesthetic viewpoint, but mainly 'cause I don't know what I'd do with my left thumb when playing above the 12th fret.

As with most things (playing a 5er, playing a 6er) just gettin' in and doin' it is how you work it out, but I have trouble wrapping my mind (and my thumb) around that one.

Peace,

James

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I know I've seen some Fodera's that make me cringe...but others make me wonder about the Single Cut. I think that the line is fine, and Fodera walks it succesfully for the most part. I happen to like that Fodera (sans red line!)

14. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I haven't seen a single-cutaway bass I haven't liked.

15. Aesthetically speaking, I'm a fairly big fan of the single cutaway.

16. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I haven't liked a single-cutaway bass I haven't seen.

17. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Same here...:rolleyes: :D
    Well, 3 at the most that i like...:p

18. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    I like the Les Paul single cuts better than the Foderas. Im not a big fan of the Foderas single cut really.