Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Single cutaway suggestions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Juniorkimbrough, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I'm looking into purchasing a single cutaway bass and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for me.

Are there even any single cutaway's made that are under the $1000 mark??

Thanks! A few pics you guys have posted have got me GAS'n for one. :D

2. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    anyone?

3. Rvl

Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    My favorite cutaway is a Turner RB4
    Have a new sunburst one on order which will have a pickup and a piezo
    The RB4 was inspired by the Guild M85 hollowbody from the late 60's and traditional classical guitars

[​IMG]

4. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    $1K...LMAO!!!...c'mon, do a search & TRY to realize what you're asking for...

~S~

5. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    my bad, that's exactly why I asked..

anyone have any SUGGESTIONS?

6. does a les paul count as single cutaway? or does the body have to go right on to the top of the neck like it does on the fabulously expensive ones?

7. Check out Chris Stambaugh's basses. It will cost you more than $1,000, but much, much less than a similar instrument by other luthiers. I have owned Fodera, Smith, etc., etc., and find Chris's fit and finish equal or better than any custom 'hippy sandwich' type bass I've played. If you skip the fancy AAA top and stick to relatively standard pickups and preamp (maybe Bartolini's), you should be able to get a single cut Stambaugh for under $2,000. Of course, a nice AAA top, fancy pickups, preamps, multiple piece necks, etc. and up goes the price!

However, I think that's probably as inexpensive as you are going to find for a custom single cut.

8. Maybe the Godin Sd Pro?
    [​IMG]

9. I think that finding a bass under that price is very hard and less than 2000 too!
    Because single cut is a lot of work and you have to pay for extra time passed on it!
    That's why you can't find cheap SC!
    Hope it helps

Vince

10. Maybe a used one.... maybe.

11. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
  12. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Also Brian at the Low End contacted me and told me that they are working on a single cutaway that will be right around the $1,000-1,500 range...

13. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    You could probably get a winters custom bass for that price. He is currently in the military though and won't be back untill October I believe. The only model that's he's built so far for the public is the prototype that is pictured on his website. AlmightyPancake is floating around here somewhere and can hook you up with some sound clips. What's really impressive about Winters basses is the optional Winters active EQ which the prototype was fitted with.Winters Custom Basses

14. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    :eyebrow:

Hmmm... I wanna see that when it comes out...

15. Flag2Flag

Flag2Flag

Dec 30, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Well Benavente has some pretty trick lookin single cuts, but they might be out of your price range, but its something to check out.

16. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy
    This is the photoshopped version of how my new bass is going to be... :hyper:
    [​IMG]

Mahogany body with tonal chambers
    flamed maple top in purpleburst with natural binding
    rosewood maple jazz neck
    schaller 3d bridge
    schaller BML tuners
    hipshot 3 string retainers
    Magnetics alnico active jazz pu
    magnetics 3 band active electronic

it's almost finished... :hyper:

17. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    I haven't spoke with Brian since he PM'd me when I started this thread months ago, but I would assume they are getting close to having a prototype ready.

18. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Sweet.. I'll proabably buy three!!!!!

:D :hyper:

19. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'm not much for single cuts, really, but I do like the "whaleback" design from Pete Skjold. Here's the first photo I could find (obviously a bass in progress):

[​IMG]

You aren't going to get a Skjold for $1,000, but you can probably pick one up for under $2,000, and I think that they are a true bargain, for what you get.

Tom.

20. iplay4-5

iplay4-5 Guest

Feb 4, 2004
    rockford, IL
    wow i really love that singel cut i love how awsome the carving on that thing looks wow is all i have 2 say