Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Single cutaway

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mike sancho, Mar 31, 2004.

1. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Hey all,
    I'm in the process of talking with a builder here in Milwaukee about a 5 string single cutaway. I've not had the opportunity to play one so I need some feedback on what they sound like and whether or not they are heavy. I like the Fodera's and the Elrick and Benavente's looks but I have no way of trying one out. the basses I mentioned have a big ticket attached and I think I can come in substantially under those. I'm thinking Sadowsky pre-amp and Bart soapbars. Mahogany body with either a flamed redwood or spalted maple top, ebony neck through fingerboard. I play in church and also in a little trio doing easy listening jazz and some jazzrock fusion. Anything you can tell me will help. Thanks much

2. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Mark

Look forward to progress pics from this builder of the bass.

As to the tone of the bass, that really depends on the builder. To tell you what a Benavente, Fodera, Elrick, etc sounds like won't help with your bass. Also with weight the basses can vary. Benavente and Elricks for the most part are a bit lighter then the Fodera's are.

If your going with the saodwsky preamp you might check out the aguilar as well. They sound very much a like and are both built by Alex Aguilar. Elrick uses the Bartolini pickup and preamp setup on his basses and then Fodera and Benavente both have custom pickups and preamps made for their basses.

Look forward to the progress pic!

3. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Hey Mike,
    I'm only about a hour from Milwaukee and would be more than happy for you to come down and try some things out. I don't have any single-cuts at the moment, but will have quite a few coming in over the next couple of months from Nordstrand, Benavente, and Eshenbaugh. While you might not necessarily be interested in any of these builders, you could compare weights, building styles, preamps/pickups, build quality, etc. and determine if a SC will really work for you. Just let me know if you're interested...I'd be more than happy to help out. :D

Jay

4. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Thanks for the info guys. I will post some pics when I get this going. My friendly neighborhood luthier is very busy right now so it will be a while. Jay I'll be in touch with you shortly. I didn't know about Blueberry Hill.