1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

single humbucker. Am i missing out?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by huckingfuskie, Sep 10, 2008.

1. huckingfuskie

huckingfuskie

Aug 4, 2008
    I'm from Montreal and i've been on the lookout for a Ernie Ball Bongo 4 string. The only dealer in montreal who carries Ernie Ball products is Steve's music store, and they've been sold out since forever.

Today i finaly managed to secure a Dawn Blue Bongo 4 string with a single humbucker. It's reserved and in my name, all i need to do is go get it.

My question is: Is a single humbucker model really that inferior to a duo humbucker? What am i missing out on?

This is my first big electric bass purchase. as such i am a bit of a newb. Any info you can offer up about the pros and cons of a single humbucker pickup is much help. Thanks in advance!

2. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    You're not missing out on anything. That was the correct choice.

3. You won't be necessarily missing out -- I believe you will have what would be similar to having a blend knob stuck directly centered (almost).

With two, you could "color" the sound a little more by using just one pickup -- more twangy at the bridge and more mellow at the neck. Combinations of the two in different levels will provide different sounds, but it isn't like you made the worst decision ever.

Bongos have a good "thump-factor™" anyways.

4. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    +1.

I would stick with your decision though. As a bass player, most of your tone comes from your attack anyway. Sure, you may not be able to sound exactly like another guy with two pickups, but you can come close with your attack.

Besides, plenty of very famous, accomplished bass players play basses with only one humbucker. Again, I'd stick with your decision; you are'nt missing out on much.

5. don't worry. go and get that awesome bass now!

6. Even a single humbucker gives you all the fun you want :D