Single humbucker wiring options

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by abarson, Sep 20, 2019.

1. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    I'm considering swapping out the single coil pickup in my Squier Bronco for a dual rail humbucker. This pickup presents a number of wiring options, as covered in this article:
    Mod Garage: Four Ways to Configure a 4-Conductor Humbucker | Premier Guitar

So, if I forego any switching, I would hook it up in the default mode with both coils connected in series. Simple. Tone variation is explicitly dependent on the capacitor and tone knob.

If I introduce a push-pull pot, I would have one of 3 additional options:
    1. Both coils in parallel
    2. Split the south coil
    3. Split the north coil
    Question 1 - Are any of these variations useful on a Bronco bass?

Question 2 - Does a combination (stacked) potentiometer/multi-position switch exist that would allow me to select between all 4 variations?

Question 3 - If such a device as above exists, is it worth the added complexity?

I'm hoping someone has already researched this and has some real-world conclusions.

2. If you’re willing to use a mini toggle instead of a push / pull you can get series/ single coil / parallel which is the useful options on a dual coil bass pickup. I used a superswitch once and wired for all the options but the out of phase sounds were not useful in any musical situation I’ve been in.

1 Humbucker/1 Volume/Series-North-Parallel

mcnach likes this.
  3. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Blippy the Wonder Slug

I plan on going this route (simple series on a "hot" dual rail humbucker) when I get the Hello Kitty Bronco next week.

The tonal variations produced by individual coil selection are negligible, as far as I can hear.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 21, 2022