1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Single Most Helpful Exercises

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by nogbert, Mar 27, 2020.

Tags:
  1. nogbert

nogbert

Jul 18, 2010
    Denver, CO
    In your journey as a jazz bassist, what was the one exercise that helped you progress the most over the years or took you to a new level. Any exercises that brought "Ah-ha!" moments etc.

2. MikeDavis

MikeDavis Supporting Member

May 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    There are two exercises I could point to.

The first being the exercise outlined by Ed Fuqua in the thread Really Learning a Tune.

The second is the practice of signing solos from the masters, first at half speed, to get every nuance and then full speed. The idea to be to get the sound and, I would argue even more importantly, the feeling of the line and how it interacts with the other instruments.

Without a doubt those two exercises in combination with a focus on the fundamentals changed my playing profoundly. However, I frankly did not really experience ‘ah ha’ moments in the practice room. My experience was that real improvement is a matter of focused work day in and day out. The ‘ah ha’ moments came slowly as I was able to play with better players in a more musical and personal way than I could have the year before.

armybass, nogbert and Michael Case like this.
  3. Jim Dombrowski

Jim Dombrowski Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Yeah, but this is the double bass forums.

4. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    Two octave scales and chord arpeggios.

MikeDavis and nogbert like this.
  5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
  6. Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    nogbert likes this.
  7. I can’t point to one specific exercise in the practice room that was some sort of revelation for me. In fact, if anything, it’s been my experiences on the bandstand that provided the most growth as a musician. It gave me food for thought as I’m driving home from the gig, thinking about what I did well, what I could do better, and how anxious I was to apply those lessons learned on the next one.

nogbert likes this.
  8. ctrlzjones

ctrlzjones

Jul 11, 2013
    You may want to clarify at what field of heureka-moments you are heading at. Intonation. Timing. Relaxation. Dexterity. Speed. Soloing. Listening. Sight reading. Tone. Articulation. The bow... And what not else ... Everything needs a different remedy. Kind of hard to think of one routine that fits all.

It is most effective to be honest with yourself and find out what your cocktail should contain (most often the thing you don't like), stir it well and daily until it's time to change the recipe.

Seanto likes this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 4, 2021