1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Single note out of tune!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mrokern, Aug 6, 2007.

1. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Just got a Douglas from Rondo to try a 5-string and to act as a backup.

Everything is great, except for the 5th-fret G on my D string. It is at least a quarter-tone sharp. Everything else on the instrument is great, yes, I know how to set intonation (and have done so).

The only thing I haven't done yet is replace the factory strings, which are terrible (I don't want to break open a new pack if it won't solve the issue...then I'm stuck with strings I don't need if I have to send the bass back).

Could strings be the cause, or should I be looking elsewhere? :help:

Thanks,

-Mark

2. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Got it!

New strings took care of the problem. Weird, but at least everything is in tune now!

Thanks,

-Mark

3. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Needs a shim.

I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist!

Mark, my buddy, I'm glad the new strings took care of the problem. Enjoy the new Douglas 5 banger!

Riis

4. Baleen

Baleen

Nov 8, 2006
    Philadelphia
    I've had defective strings whose intonation varied from flat to sharp over as little as 3 frets. I think it's a problem with the core.

5. Alan U

Alan U

Jul 12, 2005
    North East London
    Hello; now that mrokern's problem has been resolved, I hope no-one feels I'm hijacking this thread.

I have a bass that plays beautifully. Having got the action the way I like it and the intonation spot-on throughout the neck there is one dead spot.
    It is on the G string at the 6th fret, C sharp. That note is in tune, but decays noticeably quicker.
    I've replaced the strings with exactly the same result.
    Why does this happen?

Thanks

6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Certainly worthy of a response. May I recommend you do a search with the buzz words "dead spot"? IIRC, a few Fender (and like!) necks have inherent dead spots in the area you mention. The fact that this complaint is consistent irrespective of string sets would lead me to believe the problem lies with the bass itself.

Riis

7. nastyn8c

nastyn8c

Feb 7, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    From what I hear, that seems like a common dead spot.

8. Alan U

Alan U

Jul 12, 2005
    North East London
    Thanks for the replies.
    As I thought, I'll just have to live with it.