Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

single-notes guitar riffs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by panazza, Dec 23, 2003.

1. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    I saw playing some metal-hardcore bands and I hardly heard what the guitar was playing. You could only recognize the bass cutting trough a wall of buzzing guitars... well on a record it is different but I think that playing guitar riffs with no chords/power chords, just single notes, would be better for heavy music... think of rage against the machine for example! If you listen to a deftones gig you could hardly tell what note is the guitar playing... if you listen to RATM live you could hear any note the guitar plays.
    Someone might say this way the song could be "empty" but if you add distorion on bass and try to get a thick guitar sound it will be ok...

2. I think it depends on how much distortion is used on the guitars...chords can sound strange when played with a lot of distortion; single notes aren't affected as much. If you take away some of the distortion, the chords can really start to come out ... dissonant intervals sound like crap with a lot of distortion.

3. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    you are right but a big amount of distortion is necessary when you play aggressive music... I think!
    But I will tell my guitarist to try to have 2 different distortion settings for chords and single note riffs.. maybe this will solve our sound problems

4. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    This is where you start a band and do what you think sounds good.