Single or twin coil pick ups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by punch, Oct 11, 2005.

1. punch

punch

Sep 13, 2005
    Guam
    I Have a Fender Hwy 1 precision and I wanted to know if the pups are single coil or twin coil thanks for the help :bassist:

2. According to American Musical Supply it is a Split Single-Coil Precision Bass Pickup (http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-FEN-111300-338--d-2.html)

I'm not sure that's right. I always thought the split P was a split dual coil humbucker. I mean how CAN it be single coil if it's split? It has to be two coils of wire.

3. punch

punch

Sep 13, 2005
    Guam
    The reason I was asking is because I wanted to put some seymore duncan 1/4 pounders in and wanted to make sure the wirring would work

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    The wiring should really be very similar. I don't think there will be any appreciable difference.

5. The P pickup style is traditionally a dual single coil design. Each pickup is a single coil, and they are reverse wound to provide a humbucking effect by canceling out the 60 cycle hum.

So, individually the P pickups are single coil, but when side by side in a P bass they're two reverse wound single coils, and humbucking.

:bassist:

6. punch

punch

Sep 13, 2005
    Guam
    Thanks for the help guy"s i :bassist: