Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Single or twin coil pick ups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by punch, Oct 11, 2005.

1. punch

punch

Sep 13, 2005
    Guam
    I Have a Fender Hwy 1 precision and I wanted to know if the pups are single coil or twin coil thanks for the help :bassist:

2. According to American Musical Supply it is a Split Single-Coil Precision Bass Pickup (http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-FEN-111300-338--d-2.html)

I'm not sure that's right. I always thought the split P was a split dual coil humbucker. I mean how CAN it be single coil if it's split? It has to be two coils of wire.

3. punch

punch

Sep 13, 2005
    Guam
    The reason I was asking is because I wanted to put some seymore duncan 1/4 pounders in and wanted to make sure the wirring would work

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    The wiring should really be very similar. I don't think there will be any appreciable difference.

5. The P pickup style is traditionally a dual single coil design. Each pickup is a single coil, and they are reverse wound to provide a humbucking effect by canceling out the 60 cycle hum.

So, individually the P pickups are single coil, but when side by side in a P bass they're two reverse wound single coils, and humbucking.

:bassist:

6. punch

punch

Sep 13, 2005
    Guam
    Thanks for the help guy"s i :bassist: