single pole pups on american deluxe jazz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by iggy, Jan 31, 2006.

1. iggy

Jan 3, 2006
    I have a 1998 american deluxe jazz bass and was wondering why fender chose to install these particular pups' on the deluxe models. As far as I can tell they did this for two years. In the parts breakdown they describe both pickups as a rhythm(neck) and a lead(bridge) american deluxe weatherstrip pickup. I am about to change them for some nordstrands or ultra-jazzes. Can anybody tell me if these stock single pole pups are any good? They sound o.k. I guess.
  2. rdpbass

rdpbass Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2005
    Before you buy new pups,try'em in passive. I had the same set up and was never happy with the sound. Took preamp out put in passive controls and I was amazed at the tone and clarity.
  3. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

seems the early Fender Noiseless pups were single pole. I've got a set of Shur noiseless pups that are sinlge pole. In addition Fender has maid bi-poles with ceramic, alnico 8, and samarian cobalt.

It would make sense to try the passive angle before concluding the issue is the pups.
  4. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The 98 DLX Jazz bass has 1/4 inch slug pups designed by then R&D man John Suhr of Pensa Suhr fame. He worked for Fender R&D for those years, And by the way I had a MIA 98 Jazz and sold it only because I had so many other active Fender jazzes.
  5. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    Hmm. Interesting.

Don't know much about Fender but it seems to me that even though there's a lot of bad rap about the post Leo era's, overall the Fender companie(s?) has managed to carry on the tradition about as well as could be expected under the circumstances.