Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Single rack space amp suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by peteroberts, Mar 21, 2003.

1. I want to get a single rack space amp and the only thing I've found is the Peavey DSC 1400. I want way less than 1400 watts, about 400-500 is plenty. Any suggestions? I thought I heard someone say QSC makes some single rack space amps, but I couldnt find any on their site.

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I think that there are some single space amps in the Stewart World series.

Carvin makes one, but it's way less than 400 watts.

3. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    There are some older model single rack mount Peavey digital amps that have less power.
    I use a Peavey DPC 1000.
    The Peavey DPC 750 can be found used for $300.
    Try http://www.musicgoround.com/ or ebay.

Soundtech also has a 1 space Digital Power amp (PS802).
    http://www.soundtech.com/product/amps/ps802.htm
    I also have one of these - but it is much noisier than the DPC 1000. Some strange artifacting occurs at loud volumes in low frequencies on the PS802.

The Stewart World 1.2 is another 1 space Rack Poweramp.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Stewart also makes a World 600 which puts out 600 watts @ 2ohms. roughly is about 350 @ 4 ohms.

the more popular World 1.2 does 1200 watts @ 2 ohms, but drops to about 475 watts @ 4 ohms.

honestly, i'd rather use my Peavey DPC1400x. has a variable fan that gives me peace of mind.

5. Classic5

Classic5

Mar 31, 2002
    Australia
    "the more popular World 1.2 does 1200 watts @ 2 ohms, but drops to about 475 watts @ 4 ohms."

I thought the Stewart 1.2 put out 1200w into 4ohms mono bridged?

:confused:

6. you are correct Classic5, 1200w mono 4 ohms, 700w mono 8 ohms. Stereo it's 200w into 8, 350w into 4 and 500w per side into 2 ohms.

Thanks for the info!

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    DOH!

8. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I'd definetly go with the Stewart 1.2 amp. Great amp! If you think that you'd be pushing it hard mount a cooling fan in the back of the rack. I used the Stewart PA1000 for a while and never had any heat related problems (of course I typically played it indoors with A/C and rarely more than an hour set).

9. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I traded Jome77 for his PA-1000and it is simply the best sounding power amp that I've tried.

I've been keeping track of problems that folks have had with Stewart power amps and it seems that the amps do not like to run at high volumes into a 4 ohm load bridged. The specs say that it is OK but some of my friends have had their 1.6 and 2.1 World amps shut down when running high volume for extended periods.

I have a 1.6 World that I use for high volume gigs and have had not trouble at all with it shutting down. I use it with my 8 ohm 410XLT and believe that the 8 ohm load is the key to sucess with these amps. It is no problem running one side into 4 ohms but they tend to shut down on thermal overload when running bridged into 4 ohms which is the equivilent of a 2 ohm load per side.

Chuck

10. bump...I have heard that people have problems w/the Stewart Worlds...excessive heat. Some people say you need to leave a rack space above and one below to account for the heat...anyone?

11. LJW

LJW

Feb 8, 2002
    northeastern pa.

Why?

12. because.

13. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    We haven't since we discontinued the old 1100 about seven or eight years ago. It put out only 50W/ch into 8 ohms and 70W/ch into 4.

One problem with a single-rack amp is cooling. If you go from a 2 RU design down to 1 RU, you're cutting the overall height of the amp by half, but you also have to consider that some of the height is taken up by the chassis, standoffs, and other such fixed overhead, and so you've cut the space for heat sinks and air flow by more than half. Also, a 1 RU fan has only 1/4 the cross-sectional area of a 2RU fan.

To be effective, a 1 RU amp of any appreciable power would have to be very, very efficient, with very little waste heat. And it would still have to sound good. Any of those three properties--small size, high efficiency, and high sonic performance--is relatively easy to do. Doing two out of the three isn't terribly hard, either, but all three is a challenge.

14. here's the deal... I have a 4 space rack, a real nice one, and a Crown CE1000 for the lows (900w mono 8 ohms), and I was looking for a 1U to power a 400w cab w/2 10s and a horn. Really dont want to have to buy 2 2U amps, I was hoping to get a smaller 1U so I wouldn't have to get another rack or amp.

15. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    You just will not find a 1U Power Amp out there better than the Stewart 1.2. Running highs only would greatly reduce the chance of overheating. Personally, as I previously stated, I just haven't experienced heat problems with the Stewarts (and I've owned 2).

16. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I have the soundtech pl200 - and I love it... it is great... 200 watts bridged at 8 ohms... Pleanty enough power for me...

Alex

17. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Can you say any more about the PS802? Has anybody else tried one?

18. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    My pl200 is for sale!.. :ninja:

Alex