Single rack space power amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chunger, Jan 10, 2006.

1. chunger

Jan 10, 2006
    Albany, CA
    Chunger basses by Studio 939

I'm trying to find a single rack space power amp. . . used a Stewart, and was dissappointed at the performance. It would shut down periodically due to heat, and I ended up using a 3 rack vented case which defeated the purpose of a single rack amp. The Stewart died prematurely.

Recently, I installed some Camco vortex 6 amps now distributed by Ashly in a PA setup, and they are working great for driving Nexo subs. This has re-instilled faith in class D amps.

Has anyone tried one of the Powersoft Digam amps?

I've not been able to find pricing on them yet. I'm driving Acme B2 8 ohm so I'm needing something that will bridge with an honest 600-1000 watts.
  2. D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    just curious, which stewart did you have?
    and did you ever try putting a fan in the rack?
    i'm planning on picking up a 1.2 for the weight (and the silence when recording), and will be installing on/off switchable fan(s) in the rack
    for heavy use...auditioned one and it had a nice sound...
  3. Hrothgar

Hrothgar Guest

Sep 22, 2003
    The same thing happened with mine, but only when bridged at 4 ohms. I did use a fan, but it didn't help much. Also, it seems to me that having to pack a fan with you defeats the purpose of the smaller, lighter one rack space unit. Some people have not had this problem though.
  4. chunger

Jan 10, 2006
    Albany, CA
    Chunger basses by Studio 939
    Actually, I was pretty happy with the way the Stewart 1.2 sounded behind an Alembic F-1x, but it should not have been clipping when it did which makes me think either it didn't have good caps or was not given an "honest" power rating, and even with a top and side vented 3 space rack, it would thermal out on me which was not cool. Bass is brutal on amps.

And then, it died. . .

Powersoft seems a bit more robust to me, and it has a fan. . . hey, I'd rather have my amp live and be a bit louder than die.

Anyone here have experience with the Acoustic Image SA III? It looks intriguing at 3.5 lbs. 450 watts @ 8 ohms. If no economical, single rack lightweight options emerge, I may just go with a standard Crest and resign myself to lugging it around.
  5. Here's an excerpt from an October thread on this subject.
    I personally use the Soundtech PS802 that bridges at 8 Ohms
    with 800 watts, plenty for me. One rack space, about 15 or 16
    pounds, dual fans, and very reliable.

Check these out:

$349.99 (probably find it cheaper used = ebay)

Some are not single rack space, some are. I didn't know your
    price range either, so there's a bit of a range there. There are other single space amps out there,
    this is just a sampling. Hope this helps some. Good luck!
  6. greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Had the same problem with some Stewarts in PA/SR. I've been using the 14-pound Peavey DPC-1400X ever since it came out. Deals with bridged 4-ohm or dual mono 2-ohm all day long. Bulletproof and seems to deliver an honest spec. I've used it to drive subwoofers too. 1400 watts with limiting engaged.
  7. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    The Powersoft Digam amps have a very high regard amongst the PA community, however they are also very pricey.
  8. D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    i planned on getting 12 volt powered computer fans and mounting them on the rear of each side of the rack..very light and not a space issue...and can be turned on and off. one circulating in, one out. about 20 bucks to do.. but now i think i might try out the other models with fans...
    i just don't want any noise at all when possible.
    sorry to hijack the thread, thanks for the input.
  9. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    I think packing a fan does make sense if the overall goal is to get a power amp and preamp into a compact rack case. Of course to play devils advocate, the other way to do this is by buying an integrated bass head.