Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Single Rackspace Power Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KPJ, Jun 8, 2005.

1. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    I am thinking of getting a single rackspace power amp to fit nicely in my 3-rackspace rack bag with my Pearce BC-1. I am aware of the Stewart Audio World 1.2, which is 1200 watts bridged into 4 ohms and only 11lbs, which seems to be a perfect match for what I am looking for. I am using an Avatar 212 4 ohm cab. The cab could be upgraded at some point, but it will still be a 2x12, 4 ohm configuration.

So, even though the Stewart Audio seems to be the one I will go with, I was curious if there were any other single rackspace power amps with similar specs. Also, any World 1.2 owners can chime in with their experiences, either pro or con.

2. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think there are a couple of others, but the one I was most GASsing over was a Peavey DPC 1400x. 1400 watts into 4ohms. 1 rack space. *drool* Kinda deep though (16" depth), but keeps within your 1 space guideline. And it's light. And rock solid, from what I've heard!

-T

3. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I use a PS-802 from SoundTech with my BBE and my Avatar 212...and it is LOUD! Lightweight, too. And not too expensive.

4. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
  5. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    The Soundtech looks good, it doesn't bridge into 4 ohms like the Stewart, though. I had forgotten about the Peavey DPC. I remember now that Bass Player reveiwed it a few years back.

6. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    If you do a search, there's plenty on this topic.

Anyway, I own a Peavey DPC 1400X and I absolutely love it. 1400W bridged into 4 ohms, single rack space, and light.

It has a nice clean sound. For some, the DDT compression can be annoying, but I never noticed it. Just make sure you have a preamp that will drive the amp to full power. The digital switching amps seem to need a little more juice than the lead sleds.

I own one, and I will not go back to the heavyweight power amps. I'm sure there are some that sound better, but none that sound better is as light and compact as this.

Get one, and your back and ears will be glad.

I had a DPC 1000, it was fine and the only reason why I sold it was because it wouldn't bridge to 4 ohms, only 8. Same goes for the PS-802, so I ruled that out as an option.

The Stewarts are fine, but I like the added insurance of having a cooling fan.

7. Is there any issue running the Stewart 1.2 bridged into 4ohms, which is basically the equivalent of a 2ohm load. I've always been very wary of those 2 ohm ratings... seems like some companies use them to just boost the published ratings, but when you really look into it, they say... 'well, it will run at 2 ohms (or 4 ohms for a bridged stereo amp), but we really don't recommend it'! :meh:

8. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    The Stewart has no fan. I have a half a rack space above and below it though so it works out fine. Gets warm to the touch but not hot, bridged into 4 ohms. I'd like to go with the Peavey next time but it's kind of pricey. The Stewart was $600 and the Peavey was $1200. :meh:

9. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    The Stewart 1.2 technically takes up a single rack space, but in application you'll need at least two spaces. Stewart recommends you keep a rack space open above the amp in order for it to cool properly.

10. Thanks Joe,

Does the Peavey run at 4ohms OK. I have 4 ohm cabs, which is why I'm asking. I haven't done the preamp/power amp thing since my Alembic/Furmin/BGW days in the early 80's. I swore I'd never do that again... but god, I played through an Aguilar preamp at LDS and it was sweet! And that coming from a complete transistor 'hi fi' guy!!!! :D

11. Thanks... that kind of defeats the purpose for me. If I decided to get a pre/poweramp deal, I would never go over 2 rack spaces total (being a Walter Woods/Neo guy!).

12. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    The Peavey runs fine at 4 ohms, but the fan can get loud at times. But for most rock gigs, you'll never hear it.

The Peavey will also do 2 ohms a side at 700W, so you should be plenty fine with your 4 ohm cabs.

13. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I have had good luck with the Stew 1.2 running in a rack with no space above it, mono-bridged into a 4 ohm load. 4 hour gigs, never had an issue. I haven't used it outside in the blazing sun during the day in the summer, however! ;)

14. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    That's nice to know. Did you have a rack unit above it? I always wondered if it is possible for the Stewart to fry the unit above it.

15. Thanks!

16. BassikLee

BassikLee Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    I had not had the best luck running Stewart amps hard. That said, the amps I have had experience with were the older PA1200, which is a 2sp amp. Though rated down to 2 ohms, I find it will shut off even running 4 ohms per ch, if pushed. Not even clipped, just running close. I used to run the PA1200 with a bass pre of some ilk, into two PV 210TX cabs, 4 ohsm each. One cab per ch. I'd regularly lose half my rig for a few seconds during the louder parts of our sets. This bothered me, but wasn't a huge deal as I was always in the PA. Those amps ( I had two) were quickly stuck on horns in the monitor rig. They are currently in the rental/beater pile, used to drive my wife's "scary-okee" rig in the garage, or used with my gtr rig, for when I like to sound like a catfight.

HTH,

Lee

17. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    I have a stewart world 600, and while it's nice and light I don't trust it for gigs--bridged into a 4 ohm cab, it tends to crap out from overheating--it's done it at least three times live, so now I only use when i know the power demand will be low

18. mr.redpants

mr.redpants

Feb 6, 2002
    Philly
    with a Stewart 1.2 and Read Purity. I built a rack for them - put a shelf between the Stewart and preamp, plenty of room and 1 inch diameter holes in the sides (of the rack, not the Stewart). :hyper: Works fantastic. I like the separate channels, so I have tons of headroom at a gig, and in a pinch I could run the monitors or PA through the second channel...

19. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yup, had a tuner and Sansamp RBI mounted above it. No issues at all. Lotta gigs.

20. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    How much are the Peavey's priced on the used market compared to the Stew's? Just a question, cause I'm kind of in the same situation and will be buying a single-space (hopefully) amp to power my Schro 1210, and plan on bridging it.

I may go with the 1.6 though, as I've heard it has a fan but is still pretty dang lightweight.