1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Single slab, 2 piece, or more

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Bassa Nova, Feb 14, 2016.

1. I believe that this is the best forum for this question.

Looking to put together a bass with select parts, pretty much a Fender but with a non fender body(jazz bass body with only a precision route in the precision pickup position).

As to the body, is there any benefit in terms of strength or tone to have a single slab body or 2 more pieces? I seem to recall hearing that a body with more than one piece was less prone to warping. Is there any truth to that? Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

2. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    Either one works, no difference in tone, no idea on warping, I would say probably not a big deal either way.

3. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    If the body wood was properly dried/cured, there will be no problem. But with mass-produced, out-the-door soon-as-possible manufacturing, who knows what's really in there? If it's an older body and it's still ok, then you're good to go.

4. Thanks. I was thinking a new Warmoth or similar body routing to my specs.

5. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    The benefits of a two piece body is that it'll likely be less expensive and easier to source. I have yet to find a piece of either ash, maple, or walnut that's wide enough for a single slab body. Most readily available piece of wood are not wide enough, thus two and three piece bodies. Depending on the specific piece of wood, there's likely no difference in stability, though it's slightly more likely to warp.