1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Single Solution - Audio Interface + MIDI Pedals + DAW + Keyboard

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by workinthecorner, Jun 14, 2018.

1. workinthecorner

workinthecorner

May 12, 2012
    Hey guys,

I'm tinkering with a new project and finding that 1) having keyboard effects/sounds adds a lot and I think will be a staple of our music and 2) the guitar/bass effects I'm going for are easier accomplished with computer software I have (Native Instruments Guitar Rig 5).

What I'm really hoping I can accomplish is getting all of this run just out of my laptop and not needing multiple "solutions". Here's my current setup -
    • Audio interface
    • MIDI controller pedal
    • USB keyboard
    • Laptop
    • Native Instruments Guitar Rig 5 software
    • Native Instruments Massive software
    • Guitar and bass
    Right now I can run guitar/bass + MIDI controller --> audio interface --> laptop (effects applied here) --> audio interface --> PA. This works quite well (albeit with a little latency I'm still working out). What I can't get working is ALSO running my little USB keyboard into my laptop and getting that sound (via NI Massive) to come out of the interface too. i.e. having both my guitar effects and the keyboard effects coming out of the laptop and into the PA. I'm wondering if I need to get a MIDI keyboard instead and go keyboard -> audio interface -> laptop -> audio interface -> PA. So the laptop software can send the sound back out through the interface? Right now I don't think it goes anywhere except my actual laptop speakers.

Sorry for the novel, new to the digital FX world and all these connections so kind of figuring it out as I go!

2. Tonetodiefor

Tonetodiefor

Feb 25, 2014
    Marin County
    I took a good six months on resolving how to record and playback my band’s live/rehearsal/recording mixes that include all the inputs of a midi drum kit, bass guitar, electric and acoustic guitar, three vocal mics, and two midi key controllers.
    We use a I Connectivity Mio4 midi in/out box to patch the midi drum kit and two midi keyboards that then go straight to my MacBook Pro via USB.The bass, guitars, and vocal mics all run into a RME UFX II (30 in/30 out) audio interface that sends and receives via USB or FireWire (the newest version via Thunderbolt).
    This is a very low latency 192 kHz interface with super clean mic preamps and incredible patchability.

All of this runs into Logic X. The drums trigger Superior Drummer 3, the keys trigger Omnisphere, Trillian, Garritan Abbey Road, Alchemy and a host of other VST’s as well as Logic and other 3rd party software plugins. Our audio inputs as well as all audio and software returns are monitored by Total Mix (RME) software before returning through the UFX to either IEM’s or our monitors.

Super simple solution for live and recording as well as monitoring all of it through various monitor sends (15 separate stereo mixes).

The MacBook is not stock. It’s got two SS drives, the largest four core processor and 16 gigs of ram.
    This wasn’t cheap but it is extremely portable and can even be monitored and controlled with iPads... and solved a way to achieve very high quality recordings.

DirtDog likes this.
  3. workinthecorner

workinthecorner

May 12, 2012
    Any reason why you don't run the MIDI stuff into your interface as well (assuming it has MIDI ins)?

4. Tonetodiefor

Tonetodiefor

Feb 25, 2014
    Marin County
    Sorry for my long winded answer but I wanted to share how there are possibilities you may have not considered...

I did find however that with Logic X, that inputs from many different midi instruments at the same time was a huge issue and took many days of research before I found the resolve.

You might try a simple Multi USB patch box that has one tap to your computer if you don’t have enough usb inputs on your computer.

For playback, does your audio interface have 2 in/ 4 in so you can monitor your midi and audio (which should all be returning in audio)?

5. workinthecorner

workinthecorner

May 12, 2012
    I just don't know how I'm going to get the sound out of my laptop to the PA (for the MIDI keyboard situation). My DAW and NI Massive seem to only support one "ASIO" driver at a time, so I can't take the input from my MIDI keyboard ASIO and send the output through the audio interface. It has to be MIDI ASIO IN -> MIDI ASIO OUT

6. workinthecorner

workinthecorner

May 12, 2012
    Disregard - solved!!! I was trying/hoping to use the individual programs (e.x. Massive vs Guitar Rig) by launching them on their own but in that scenario they wouldn't let outputs cross ASIO to the other ASIO. However, if I launch my DAW and then the respective programs, I can control to take input from wherever and still send it out through the audio interface. This rocks