Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Single space power amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dbradford, Aug 12, 2002.

1. dbradford

dbradford

May 7, 2001
    Cary, NC
    I'm in the market for a single-space power amp to rundownstream of an Alembic F-1X.

There seem to be a couple of candidates. Stewart Electronics' World 1.2 and SoundTech's PS802

The problem is, I'm not familiar with the "High Frequency Switch Mode Power Supply" that the two companies tout as the reason for the smaller size and lighter weight of the unit.

Are there any drawbacks to the this technology as oppossed to the traditional capacitors and transformers?

A description of the World 1.2 is available at http://www.nextgener.com/ngm/stewart/world1-2.htm. The SoundTech is at http://www.soundtech.com/product/amps/ps802.htm.

Any advice/caveats? Should I bag it altogether and opt for larger and heavier alternatives (e.g. Crown 1000)?

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well,

I've heard many a horror story with the Stewarts. but, with good airflow space and/or a nice fan, most guys who push their Stew's hard, say they havent let them down yet.

still, i'm leary of using my Stewart to even 3/4's its capacity for a long 2 hour set on a hot stage with heatlamp stage lights. i'd rather a person just get the amp above what they need. i needed 600 watts, but i saved up for the World 1.2 instead. still i'm not even pushing 600 watts at all. i actually use mine for my smaller gigs.

for my larger outdoor rig, I like my Peavey DPC1400x. Usually, i grab it along with my Demeter pre, hook it up to the rental bass cab, and i'm good to go for 2 hours. havent run into a hitch yet! crosses fingers...

about the same price as the Stew, so its not cheap, but built very well, and is very similar to the soundtech with its variable fan and all, but happens to push 1400 watts @ 4 ohms. Sha-zaam! :D and there are Peavey dealers everywhere, so if something were to happen, it'd be easy to service.

but the soundtech do look cool. especially at its list price range.