Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Single-space rackmount mixers?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Lockout, Jul 3, 2004.

  1. Lockout


    Dec 24, 2002
    Over the past few weeks, I've been trying to think of a method to get my ideal overdrive tone, and what I came up with involves taking two (or possibly more) signals, and blending them together. To accomplish this, I'd like to buy a rackmount mixer, but I don't know which will suit my needs.

    Mainly I'm looking for something with 1/4" inputs for at least 3 channels on the back, individual volume knobs for each channel on the front (as well as a master volume), and a mono 1/4" output that sends the final mixed signal...

    Are there any mixers that fit my description? I don't really want to spend over $200 unless absolutely necessary... in fact I'd prefer to spend less than that if possible. But I'd like to avoid Behringer... just a personal choice. :meh:

    Got any suggestions?
  2. Passinwind

    Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

    I think Roland used to make one with inputs on the back, but the other inexpensive ones I've seen mostly have front inputs, IIRC. Check out the Rane and Ashly offerings, but get ready for sticker shock. You might score one used within your budget. Radio Design Labs makes rack mountable modules that would do the job, if you don't mind putting it all together yourself.

    I'm in the process of building my own single space preamp, with a 4 channel stereo EFX mix capability, which still will run well over $200. I've been using a Mackie 1202VLZ for EFX mixing for many years now. I've never rack mounted it, but it can be done easily enough. Not even close to one rack space though, of course.
  3. geeyza


    Apr 6, 2004
    have a look at .they have things like signal splitters and mixers.they might be what you are looking for.peace
  4. Lockout


    Dec 24, 2002
    Yeah, I looked into Rane's mixers... but they were all a bit out of my price range. :( I haven't seen any used on eBay, but I will keep my eye out for them.

    Anyone know anything about ART's mixers? The 418 seems to fit what I'm looking for... Unbalanced 1/4" inputs, volume knobs on the front... but it has a balanced 1/4" output. Will I be able to plug a mono 1/4" cable into that output and still get the full signal? Or will I only get half?

    Passinwind, I'm just curious... which inexpensive rackmount mixers have you seen with inputs on the front?
  5. Passinwind

    Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

    No problem, it should work fine. And if you go to a pre/power amp setup, that balanced output could come in handy. I run my preamp into my Mackie, use the balanced outs to drive the amp, and the auxes to mix effects. Works like a charm.

    Passinwind, I'm just curious... which inexpensive rackmount mixers have you seen with inputs on the front?

    There used to be a bunch of keyboard mixers with front jacks, as well as some old A-V stuff. I'm thinking Korg, Peavey, Roland, Altec (maybe?), Yamaha, etc. You might try a search on "keyboard mixers" in any case. I forgot to mention Rolls before, those aren't too expensive new.

    Here's a two space Korg one currently on eBay:


    --Charlie Escher