1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Single String Scale Fingerings?

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by mfb, Sep 6, 2017.

1. mfb

mfb

Aug 11, 2017
    Can someone suggest a good resource for single-string scale fingerings? I got it into my head to emulate some of the walking I hear/see, and I'm not sure the most efficient way to finger, for instance, a G minor scale up the G-string leading into thumb position. Side note: I'm working out of Simandl.

2. Best be guided by principles.

- Prepare more for easily leading where you're going, over easily leading from where you've been.
    - Move/slide up in pitch with the 1st finger and down in pitch with the 4th more than the other way.
    - Fingering going up, might not be the same as fingering going down.
    - Have multiple ways to do the same thing.

ie. G A Bb C D E F# G (A
    .....o 1. 1 .4 1 .4 .1 .2 (T
    .....o 1. 2 .1 4 .1 .4 .T (1

You can figure out a lot of this on your own when you learn the basics from Simandl, are aware of good body ergonomics, and are actively thinking of what works best in each situation.

(the dots . above are just used to try and keep the alignment of numbers to letters)

mfb likes this.
  3. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    Don't think there is a dedicated one string scale book for upright. There is for cello though: Scale Studies for the Cello (One String), Book One

But I think everyone with basic knowledge of fingerings can make up such scales and fingerings himself. Just try as many possibilities as you can think of. There is not a rule or only one way to do this.

M0ses likes this.
  4. tinyd

tinyd

Mar 11, 2003
    Ireland
  5. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    RVA
    In this spirit, how do you all visualize playing scales/exercises on the instrument? I find that by visualizing the fingerboard in my mind i am more likely to hit my target note on big and small shifts. Curious what is going on in others heads when they play this stuff.

SteSte likes this.
  6. I don't own a copy, but I bet that the book by Eugene Levinson has some one string scale fingerings in it.

mtto likes this.
  7. mfb

mfb

Aug 11, 2017
  8. SteSte

SteSte

Mar 28, 2017
    Rome, Italy
    i try to a visualize more and more as i can as you when i didnt visualize i got out of tune, i asked to a pro ' how much in percentage you play visualizing' he say 99% , i'm at lower rate, i think you centered the issue, visualizing and geometry are more important than fingerings...

9. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    As a general principle, once out of the lower positions I like to shift to the strong beat in 2 note groups when playing scales along the string. Assuming 8th notes, this would be like Longfinger's first example. This tends to put 1 on the beat ascending, and 4 or 2 on the beat descending.

10. Reiska

Reiska

Jan 27, 2014
    Helsinki, Finland
    Food for the thought: I`m studying under a teacher who has been to Swedish jazz virtuoso Anders Jormin`s master classes. Jormin`s take is that figure out a reliable way to go up and down, practise that until numb, and there you have a working solution for improvisational purposes. Allways the same way to move up and down, and after that every other way to do the same thing becomes like icing on the cake. I`m heavily into this at the moment, trying to figure out the way that`s most natural for me, my bass and hands.