1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Single Universal Pedal...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Spocky, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Spocky

Spocky

Mar 13, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    Hello,

I am beginning to understand that certain 'effects' are good to have (like compression) and adding some utilisable tools (like clean DI) as well as effects loops and maybe a good tuner. I was looking at single 'swiss army' type pedals (e.g. Pigtronix Bass station...now discontinued) and was wondering what other options are around like this. Not thinking multifunction Zoom B3 style more discrete pedals like the Pigtronix or maybe the Sansamp Flying bass rig.

Are there any other options or companies that can make these types of pedals that are good and can develop clean option sounds (i.e. don't colour the tone when you don't need colour) and effect the tone predictably and consistently when 'on'.
    Also adding an ABY switch would be kinda cool too.

Cheers Spocky

2. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    So you're looking for multiple "utility" pedals in one unit? Maybe look into the Alien Bass Station - it's a compressor, "amp generator" (sorta like a SABDDI, with overdrive gain), and fuzz in one unit... it's stupid expensive though.

3. Zoom MS60b is very Swiss Army like many functional pedal.

Ricky Caboverde, Buszkock and GMC like this.
  4. ProfFrink

ProfFrink

Jan 16, 2015
    Zoom B3 for all the things you mentioned, or (when it comes out and if it lives up) - tech21 bass flyrig

Ricky Caboverde, Buszkock and GMC like this.
  5. BassikLee

BassikLee Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    The fly rig only does what it does. For truly universal, I'm thinking one of the zoom MS series pedals. Get the 100BT, and you can have most every effect and/or amp type known to man. Do they sound as good as discrete effects? Maybe, maybe not.

6. thebean

thebean

Jan 23, 2007
    The RMI Basswitch sounds like it'll check a lot of your boxes.

7. Something like this? :)

Slave1_LRG.JPG.opt540x386o0%2C0s540x386.jpg

Most generic multi-fx units leave something to be desired, in that you'll probably be compromised on one front or another. However, if you know exactly what you want, there are some boutique builders that you can go to (such as Cog Effects or Broughton) who will build you one box that has exactly what you are looking for in it.

8. stigbeve

stigbeve

Sep 24, 2014
    No disintegrations

wintremute and Spectrum like this.
  9. Duder

Duder

Dec 6, 2014
    Florida
    Sweet jeebus what is that?

blindrabbit likes this.
  10. Cog Custom

Effects loop/Octave/Chorus/Delay/Reverb. Tom has all sorts of cool things like this. Here's another one of his:

Bop_Gun_LRG.JPG.opt542x410o0%2C0s542x410.jpg

Cog Custom

Octave/Fuzz/Fuzz/Filter/Reverb

Like I said, if you know exactly what you want, you can get some awesome multi-pedals made for you!

11. Some individual dirt pedals and a Strymon Mobius.

12. MD-BassPlayer

MD-BassPlayer Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    I see no advantage to putting 4 effects into one box versus putting four pedals on a Pedaltrain Nano. With individual pedals you're not committed to each effect and can swap things in and out as needed.

13. Spocky

Spocky

Mar 13, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    I think that there are some "effects" that are reasonably universal (like compression) but other technical additions like DI out and ABY switches and Boost that are a base that other true tone changing effects can be added to this 'foundation' style pedal as such.

Some interesting options: one thing that looks interesting is the GK Plex which is the sort of thing I had in mind.

Cheers Spocky

14. It might not be so discreet, but the Boss ME 50 B is great in terms of having multiple effects at your disposal. For the most part it's really easy to pick up and dial in your settings. Definitely one of the more "pedal-like" multis I've had experience with in terms of feel.

15. MD-BassPlayer

MD-BassPlayer Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    It's a multi, but it only does one effect at a time - I use the Line 6 M5 as a Swiss army type of pedal. I usually add my favorite compressor, octave and DI with it to end up with a very versatile setup that fits on a Pedaltain mini and can handle just about any situation.

16. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    I've ventured down that road as well.

But after a lot of research, i did settle on a Pedaltrain Nano.
    I wanted one pedal that offers a bit of grit on one stomp and a lot more on a second stomp, with level pots for both so i don't get louder in the mix. Finding one that is capable of that was hard enough, but then finding one that i like as well ... well.

I quickly realized that a Tuner pedal is really handy, too because it doubles as a mute switch and tracks a lot faster than the little clip on thingy i was using.
    And compression. Gotta have a decent comp i thought.

And i hate those digital multis. They don't pass the Mojo.

So after tossing out a lot of money for trying to get all that on the cheap side of things,
    i settled for a Pedaltrain Nano with a Powersupply mounted underneath and George L's cables as a host for the pedals.
    Not the cheap solution but hard to beat in terms of transportability and utility.

The Nano comes in a bag that can be mounted on your gigbag. It is small and decent, you can use it for small gigs without looking ridiculus (shoegazer pedalboards in coffehouse gigs).
    In terms of size, it competes with most multis.
    You can load it with whatever you desire - not 'a' comp, 'a' preamp and 'an' OD, but every component carefully selected. There is a reason there are so many Fuzz pedals, OD Pedals and so on on the market. Not only their sound by themselves, but also their combination can and will make a huge difference that a digital multi has no chance to copy.

blindrabbit likes this.
  17. Ricky Caboverde

Ricky Caboverde Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    If THAT is what you're after, then I can recommend the RMI Basswitch based on personal use...awesome piece of gear! You could also consider the EBS Microbass II, and Radial Bassbone (or Bassbone OD).

18. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Korg PME-40x:

2em0bpw.jpg

You can mix and match a nice variety of modules any way you like. I've never tried this unit, so I don't know how bass-friendly it may be. I did have a standalone Dist Wah, though; low end for days!

I must warn you - the most sought-after modules can be crazy expensive.

Bo0tsy likes this.
  19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021