Single wire output jack?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by H88, Apr 21, 2019.

1. H88

H88

Apr 21, 2019
    i bought this modded squire j bass years ago never needed to open it up until the jack stopped working. it seems to only have one wire available to hook up.
    any ideas how to wire this up if this is just a strange type(guessing not) or should i be looking for another that slipped into the body somewhere.
    cheers for any help.

2. The ground was supplied via the metal control plate.

3. Budbear

Budbear Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Staten Island, NYC
    ↑ This. ↑

All ground wires are common to the control plate via the pot backs, and so is the jack. There is no need to ground it again. Just connect the output wire to the tip lug on the new jack, attach it to the control plate, and you're good to go. Added bonus: Someone foil-shielded the cavity for you and made sure it had contact with the control plate. Good RF protection.

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    can you see why the jack stopped working?
    [​IMG]

it looks like all three pots have spun around loose and are pulling on the wires!

it's good to pay attention to things like loose knobs and jacks and fix them right away (by holding them from the bottom and tightening the nut on top), otherwise you get things like broken wires and a guitar that dies in the middle of a show.

5. H88

H88

Apr 21, 2019
    thanks, obviously i dont do this much. good to know!
    youre right the middle pot atleast is a bit loose ill sort em out and have it gig ready again.
    cheers all for the info, much appreciated.