1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Single Women outnumber married women in the US

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by 48thStreetCustom, Mar 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    I listened to this NPR interview and, although I wish they had spent more time on anylizing the actual statatistics, it kind of blew my mind. A know tons of guys who don't want to get married because it would diminish their lifestyles, but now women think the same way? Where does this lead?

Fresh Air for March 1, 2016

Tom Bomb likes this.
  2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    The number of single women pretty much has to roughly equal the number of single men.

Marial and jmattbassplaya like this.
  3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

4. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    Maybe if they wouldn't be single if they weren't impossible to live with.

pedroims, kobass and Killed_by_Death like this.
  5. I assume this is also including the women who are unmarried but shacking up.

6. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    I think so, but as I said, they didn't go into the statistics.

7. Shacking up is much more condoned nowadays than it ever was.
    It's becoming the preferred method over marriage. No pre-nup required.

8. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I do not know about America but you most definitely need a pre-nup if you're shacking up in Canada. You only get a few months before they're basically considered a spouse. My friend never got married and had to pay out $12,000~ to get his girlfriend to leave. She never paid a cent on his house but she was there when he bought it, it was a real debacle for him.

9. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    See, here's the thing. In the interview they say that the women (I think she said she talked to 100 of them) were open to it, but the right guy never came along. Their conclusion, which I'm not sure I agree with, is that now that women don't have to relay on men, they don't need to settle. i interperate to mean the majority of women who have impossible standards.

10. Here in Virginia, Common Law marriage is not recognized.

I feel the same way about marriage as I do about the two subjects we can't discuss here.

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  11. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    I heard Dave Foley from Kids in the Hall on Marc Maron's Podcast. Canadian divorce laws are crazy.

Papazita likes this.
  12. DiabolusInMusic

Ooooff... yeah, Dave got hit hard. Are they really that different from US ones though? I assume it is the same old alimony and child support, everybody gets half, kind of thing for both countries. I've never been divorced or married in either country though so I'm not that up to date on any of the relevant laws beyond what TV tells me.

On an aside, I don't think just women have impossible standards.

13. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    We spend way too much time on three things.....and have since the late 70s.

1) We pound I to every child that they are a "special snowflake" so much so that they are impossible to be around as grownups. There's no participation trophy for making it to work on time sometimes or knocking up a woman.

2) We hammer into girls minds that they "don't need a man" and they can "do anything a man can" so that by the time they are grown men are the enemy. Turns out they can't make sperm. Go figure.

3) We spend so much time telling little boys to put down the cap gun, the ax, and the football and be "less manly" that by the time they are grown, honestly they don't turn real women on. You can treat a woman with the utmost respect and still be masculine. They aren't mutually exclusive. Eat red meat and get some power tools for crap sake! But hold the door for the ladies and shut up when they need to get something off their chests....other than a bra.

No surprise to me at all that women are staying single. Getting married, having kids, and perhaps climbing the corporate ladder more slowly because of those kids is frowned upon these days. I have been told that some female college professors even say as much to their students in my college town. Any girl who gets engaged in college gets beat up (figuratively) by some female professors I'm told.

I have e a niece who is 18. She hasn't had a boyfriend in a while and isn't gay (not that that would be an issue...but is important to the story). She told me not long ago that she is going to wait until she moves away to college to even try to find a man because all the ones around her are wusses. And she lives out in the country! She's both prissy and a tomboy. She can hop off the four wheeler and go get "dolled up" for a night out. But she says the boys around there are cry babies with pink shirts and popped collars. Nutn sexy about that to her.

It's time to teach kids to respect each other but allow each to be who they are, even if that means they turn out to be prissy girls or manly men.

Isn't it odd that we even have to justify that last sentence these days?

I'm going to grab my flame suit now. Let 'er rip! :thumbsup:

pedroims, Sharp5, Will_White and 7 others like this.
  14. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    The way I understand it is that, in Canada, you need to pay a percentage based on your income at the time of divorce and that never changes. Dave was making millions because he was on a TV show, but now he's earning a touring standup comedians pay. If he enters Canada he'll be thrown in jail and can't get out until he pays. But he can't earn if he's in jail, so it would be a life sentence.

15. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I think it's due to the workplace opening up to women and more women taking non traditional gender specific jobs that pay well enough to render them financially independent.

A lot of the girls i knew in high school are single and a lot of those are very well paid professionals in a variety of fields.

The single women i know are financially independent and apparently happy to remain single.

Hoff Kinkmeister likes this.
  16. DiabolusInMusic

That isn't the case in America? Well, I'll be...

17. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Or, maybe the crushing load of debt kids have to take on just to get a bachelor's degree these days (and the high percentage of jobs that require them) means they have to try and climb the ladder fast before they get married and have kids.

18. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    I went out with three different women who had their eggs frozen in their mid thirties Incase they never met mister right.

19. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

So what?

Icemanaroonie and pacojas like this.
  20. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    Honestly, I didn't mean this to turn into a men's rights "he man woman haters club."

I love women.