Single wrap DR's

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jerry J, Dec 18, 2000.

1. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I was down at the local Luthier/repair shop the other day and had some questions about Lane Poor pickups. The guy had a cheesy P-type bass with the LP pickup mounted in it. I commented about the strings and the guy said it was special test run of what they called a "single wrap" string. In otherwords it was just one wrap around the core. I thought that all strings were single wrap but I've never paid that much attention. As it were they sounded pretty cool which may have had something to do with the Lane Poor pickup.

Has anybody heard about these single wrap strings from DR? I bought a set just to give them a spin but haven't had the chance to put them on anything yet. They were very nice feeling strings but I've never used DR's anyway.

Jerry J

Less is more...more or less bassically speaking
  2. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Could they be DR "Long Necks" ? Those are taper-core.
    IOW, only the core passes over the bridge.

I tried a "Medium" set (TMR-45 / 45-65-85-105) on a cheapie Yamaha
    (1 P-pup) that I'd thrown a Bada$$ bridge on. Yikes ! :eek: Talk about rich !

From their website ( )...
  3. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I haven't opened that packaging since I got the strings. I'm not ready to put them on anything yet. But the guy at the shop said that were still in the testing stages and so new that they just had generic DR packaging.

You are right about the string sounding "rich". But it was kind of an odd situation since I was trying out a Lane Poor pickup too. The strings did have a nice feel to them which is another reason that I bought them.

Thanks for your reply.
  4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    According to the DR website, they're introducing a new string, the Marcus Miller Signature "Fat Beams". Doesn't say if they're single wound or what. I recently picked up some Lo-Riders and they're certainly not single-wound. There's a diagram and explanation of the windings on the box. Really spectacularly nice strings, too.