SingleCut 5 Fretless- built by Spiderman

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Peter Parker, May 16, 2003.

1. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    My alter ego built this over the last few weeks. I consider it my first true attempt at building a bass. I've made one in the past where I made the body but bought a Warmoth neck. This one was all me. It turned out great. The neck was hard but enjoyable. It is a set-neck and the carving where the body meets the neck was a bitch. When I designed it, I went totally for things that I've had in other basses that I liked. I attached the neck at the 10th fret so that the low notes are closer which really helps when grooving in the lower register. There's plenty of cutaway for upper access and the balance is perfect. The bass is light due to the hollow chambers I put in. I chose Peruvian walnut for the body core because it sounds great and chose a light quilt top because it was only $10. The fingerboard morado with lines and a 16 radius. The pickups are Fender Roscoe Beck's and is wired passively but with seperate volume controls unlike the Fender. The bridge is one of those mono rail things that worked out great. They are individually recess into the body.
    This turned out so well that I can't wait to build many more. I wasn't sure I could build a neck but it seems that I can:) This bass isn't without flaws, which are only cosmetic( sanding marks and a ding or two) and the design itself in regards to the upper horn will change but all in all it's a greast start to a very absorbing hobby.[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
  2. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I envy you guys who can build their own bass. That it nice.
  3. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    [​IMG] The upper horn is perhaps a tad too big IMHO (which is purely a matter of taste), but apart from that - really great job!, I can only wish I had your skills in design and wood working! It must be a great feeling to play a bass you have built yourself!
  4. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
  5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Good job! Trade ya a painting for one!
  6. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    Actually, I don't exactly disagree. The angle of the pic makes the horn look bigger than it is but that is one of the things I'm going to change. I may not even make another single cut but if I do the horn will have a different shape all together. I'm getting tired of seeing them though so who knows.

Thanks for your comments so far. It is really rewarding to build something like this and it actually plays and sounds good when you're finished.
  7. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    That is excellent, nice job.
  8. awesome

Aug 14, 2002
    Very impressive, I really like this one.
  9. That looks really good!!
    It's almost unbelievable this is the first bass you made. I envy you!!!
  10. odie

odie Supporting Member

Wow!! I wish I had skills like that.

How did you work up to the point of being a new blossoming luthier?? Did you work with wood before?? Also did you take any classes? What tools did you use?? What did you do to put the lines in??

Thanx for sharing, very nice....taking orders yet?!:)
  11. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
  12. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    Thanks for your comments:) I've never worked with wood before, never even had a shop class in school. I've owned a lot of high end bass and by simply looking at them I could guess how they built them when taking in to consideration the Melvin Hiscock book on how to build a guitar. For tools I used a sabre saw, router, surform, spokeshave, a drillpress, and my hands( alot of hand work). I bought a fingerboard blank from Luthiers Merch. that was preslotted and inlayed the lines using .023" styrene which is a plastic material that is easy to work with and looks great. I got the styrene idea from Ric Turner in an article he had written several years ago. I then installed the side and top dots.
    I truly doubt that I ever build to sell but who knows. Right now it's a very relaxing thing to do on a Sunday afternoon. The bass took three weeks to finish. Most of the time came from waiting for glue to dry.
  13. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    3 WEEKS ? Good Grief!

And you just worked on it on Sundays ?

I've been working on mine for about 3 months now...
  14. odie

odie Supporting Member

What is a surform?? Some type of file??

Don-Peter: I have often times thought of building a bass. Just to learn and find out how the magic all works.
    Any tips for books, tools to gather, places for supplies and wood. I know its been discussed here and there at TB. But you 2 are new guys at this, and often times newbies can be good at giving advice on the bassics.
  15. jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Next time try using an angle grinder to do most of the grunt work on carving the's a REAL time saver, and it's what a lot of the guys who do it for a living use!
  16. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Odie, I read the Hiscock book about 10 times before i started. I also did some mock ups.

I also sought advice from the guys in the "luthiers Corner." They
    were very helpful.

As long as you do not expect perfection the first time out you should be fine.

I have found also that most luthiers are more than willing
    to help out.
  17. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    that looks great! congrats man, i wish i could do that!
  18. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    That's cool! It looks very professional.

Someday I'll build my own, maybe entirely from scratch. There is a maple tree in my front yard which I really like a lot, and if the city ever decides to chop it down or something, for whatever reason, a bass its wood will hopefully make.
  19. Looks great!!!!

Sound clips please!!! What are all the switches for?

35 scale?
  20. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    I didn't work on it only on Sundays but about every other day. I got more done on Sunday, usually about 10-12 hours worth. Most of the time was spent thinking and planning, building jigs and things to make the job easier.