Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Singlecut Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Aug 10, 2004.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I see that singlecut basses are getting very popular. I have never seen much advantage in them. It seemed that they would harder to access all the strings on these basses, however, I just read a review in the new Bassplayer of a Veillette Retro Singlecut that said it is very easy to play on. I want to hear your guys opinions about playing singlecut body basses.

2. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Unless you're fretting on the top side of the fretboard it makes no difference in playability. I personally prefer many singlecuts based on looks and that is it.

3. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    There is nothing about the top part of tht singlecut that limits my access, in fact it keeps me from doing stupid things with my thumb that would normally impede my playing. Notice on mine how the bottom horn is what out of the way, EASY acess to all the frets.

BTW, my singlecut is the champ of champs. For me.

[​IMG]

4. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    What Lamar said! :cool:
    [​IMG]

5. I think one of the advantages of the singlecut design, particularly if one's playing fretless is that there's a bit more resonance in the instrument because you have the upper horn connected to so much of the neck.

when I was a kid I thought they were hideous, but now I own one!

http://www.geocities.com/subcontrabassist/8.jpg

:D

from the lows,

Stew

6. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
    [​IMG]

I like the SingleCut-looks and bolton basses...
    Mmm! I think my next bass will be a bolton SingleCut.

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I can't think of a single disadvantage playing a singlecut. In addition I can't say I've heard much if any sonic benefit to them either.

I like the esthetics. Here are some bolt-on SCs. I also have neck thru SCs.

[​IMG]

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    [​IMG]

I'm not a huge fan of Singlecuts other then the Telecaster guitar... But If Chris keeps this up, I'm gonna end up breaking!!!

Lookin Good Al!!!

9. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Really, it all boils down to the aesthetics of the body design. Yes, a singlecut might have just a very slight amount of additional wood to it, but not much.

All things being really equal, a singlecut bass is just a body design / visual preference.

[​IMG]

I like `em, too!

10. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I've played Hippiesandwich's Benavente that is pictured above. The upper bout does not interfere with playability at all. I do have an issue with the looks of single cut basses, but that is my own prejudice.

11. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Not only is that a beautiful, beautiful bass, but that's also the first time I've ever seen someone playing anything above a six who doesn't look like they're "wrestling" with the instrument. He looks so calm, cool, groovin', etc. I mean, his bass is way bigger than my fours, but he's a big dude so it looks totally natural on him.

12. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España

hes also a great player ive seen him at anamm show

13. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I love the single-cut design... I'll have one soon.. ;)

14. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I like Chris' "J" models:

[​IMG]

and let's not for get the Elrick NJS singles:

[​IMG]

15. +1

i never liked them when i started playing bass, i thought they were ugly. However now i think they are the best looking basses around. Some still dont' agree with me, but thats how it goes.

-Dan

16. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I don't think I'll get one any time soon, but they are growing on me also. I especially liked that Viellette in this months Bassplayer.

17. some day.. i'll own a jp... untill then i will be making one hopefully soon for my next project.

18. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    i love nordstrand's singlecut, specially that with evony top and birds eye mapple neck

19. OwO

OwO

Apr 23, 2004
    [​IMG]

For me, the best singlecut i've ever seen .. i'm getting one soon :bassist: :hyper: :bassist:

20. man, Carey makes a sweet bass!