Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

singlecut design, advantages and disadvantages

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Peik, Dec 20, 2004.

1. Peik

Peik

Dec 2, 2004
    Sweden
    Hey Luthiers

I am a person who have fallen for the Singlecut bass design, that is getting more and more popular.

I personaly love the look of it, but what soniq qualities does that design bring. I know that wood and electronics are a big part of it. But with all factors equal, what would be the carecteristic of a singlecut bass design versus a double cut design.

I seem to have read that it offers more sustain and leves the frettboard flat on the lower part of the neck, is that true and how does that feel compared to a regular neck.

I know the best thing would be to try a couple of different ones, but here in Sweden they are a little hard to find in the local shop.

Hope somebody out there can help.

Thanks.

2. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Hej, Swede!!
    There aren't many swedes on Talkbass, so of course there are no singlecuts in the shops in Sweden - isn't that logical?? :scowl:

Anyway: the advantages of singlecut are not very obvious.
    It adds stiffness to the bottom part of the neck, which adds some 'tightness' to the lower strings - providing that the top of the neck doesn't give, too much. And tonewise, thats about it!
    The increased stiffness and increased weight would add a little bit to sustain, all other things equal. Noticeable? Not sure...
    The neck feeling would be the same, because most necks are rather straight in this area anyway, if you set the truss rod properly.

I think that the added stiffness will do good, on high quality instruments (=high quality necks). If you like the looks...it's the way to go. IMHO.

3. Peik

Peik

Dec 2, 2004
    Sweden
    Thanks for the answer.
    I thought that was the way it worked.

Nice little site by the way.

Do you build basses aswell.

4. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Thanks.:)

Occasionally :D
    Not as much as I'd like, though - "a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do", too: survive! :meh:

5. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Also, I believe it was Rick Turner who did some research and found that the some of the major resonances that lead to dead spots in a neck are torsional. Linking up one side of the neck like this should do a lot to reduce this.

6. Rick Turner

Rick Turner Commercial User

Jul 14, 2004
    I design and build electric basses and pickups under the Turner, Renaissance, and Electroline brand names.
    Wasn't me, it was a pal named David Woolworth who was doing a grad school research project. I just publicized it.

7. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Thanks, Rick.

That paper wouldn't happen to be available online, would it?

8. brorbjoern

brorbjoern

Jan 4, 2012
  9. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    This is at least the second necrothread you've resurrected on the topic of tone generation in a solid-body electric instrument. It's clear you have an agenda, what is it? Are you trying to provide evidence of the construction techniques of a solid body instrument as it pertains to the generation of "tone"? Not challenging, just asking...