1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Singlecut fans - Opine on this...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hambone, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Ste_m3

Ste_m3

Mar 26, 2006
    Northwest UK
    it took a minute of questioning for me to realise that in general, thats a fine bass!
    It looks like it would balance great, but looking and doing are two different things!
    good luck if you decide to go for it

2. Ohh no. This isn't my cup o' tea at all except as something to study and learn from.

3. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Nice. I imagine it'd play well and sound well.
    As I remember, the Worp went well with BassPlayer reviewers a couple of years ago.
    Typical comment: Alas that I don't have three grand to spend.

4. I think that this might be the bass that BP used in their review. I don't know how many were actually made. I like the way that some twists on conventional design are implemented. The tiltback on the tuning bridge should mean better saddle contact, the strip on the bass side of the board makes previously unavailable thumb positions available, the balance should be excellent, as should the sustain. I'd hit it, in a second.

It does not strike me as 'weird for the sake of weird' at all. And remember, all of you guys (me too) playing 5'ers would have been met very skeptically just a few years back. Today's weird might be tomorrow's normal.

:bassist:

5. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    It looks like it's a great instrument. BP raved about it few years back. I like singlecuts (3 so far) and it's a matter of personal taste if one would buy it or not

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I've thought they were beautiful from the moment I first read that BP review a few years back.

I do wonder how well the truss rod works with one side of the neck so much wider than the other.

7. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Bassline has been building beautiful instruments for many years. They have been on display at Winter NAMM in the past and their instruments are very nice. The Design works perfectly well unless you play over the top of the neck with your left hand thumb. Its basically taking the SC design and reinforced neck support o another level for a flat neck.

17_3.

8. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I think that bass is absolutely beautiful and forces correct technique.

Also looks as though it would sound quite nice

9. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    I like most of the design. The lack of adjustable saddles on a $3K bass kinda bothers me. That gives it a certain "Wishnev-ness" quality to it.

While I can't say I do it as part of my normal playing routine, I have been known to throw a thumb over, when doing something particularly gymnastic, however I don't consider the inability to do that to be a dealbreaker.

The thumb ridge might actually be nice. A corresponding thumb ridge on the body to rest the right hand thumb would be the ergonomic natural extension of this concept, however, but it is, alas, absent.

I agree there is something to be learned here, in terms of design. It is a natural refinement of some of Ned's ideas. I'd like to see it go further, and wonder what basses might someday look like.

10. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    It should be noted that the amount of added material along the length of the neck is significant, and that two words you will probably never hear associated with such a design is "dead-spot".

11. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    That looks absolutely amazing! What a beauty!

12. fretless Bob

fretless Bob If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K
    id buy that bass in a heart beat, i loved it when i saw it in BP way back and i still love it now, headless basses always balance really well and the craftsmanship looks great.

Dave

13. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Those saddles are adjustable.

They have small allen key holes and you can adjust the height on both sides of the string...

14. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I like it a lot, but I'm not a headless fan. Put a headstock on that and I'd be really interested .... :cool:

15. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005

But you can't intonate it. Yes, I realize it's fretless, but I would argue that it still matters, and for >$3K should give you it the benefit of the doubt in mattering.

16. I 'opine' that if it weren't for that checkered thing beside the fingerboard it would rock. Apart from that, it's a beautiful bass.

17. +1
    I really like the body, but the headstock is kinda ugly :meh:

18. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Touche!

19. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    I've had my eye on those basses for awhile, I really like the concept and would love to get my hands on one to check it out.
    I'm debating making a neck like that just to test the theory.