Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SingleCut>Fretless<basses.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tumbao, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
    Fretless SingleCut basses...
    Seemingly unpopular until this Thread!
    Love it? Hate it? Pictures?

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    All three of my basses are singlecuts now, so singlecuts+fretless are great in my book. Here's mine:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There's only two other basses I'd consider trading it for, and they're both Elrick singlecut lined fretless fives as well (they have the e-vo body style I like a little better-one belongs to Mr. Brad Johnson).

Benavente's made some killer fretless singlecuts...Jorg owns a beautiful monkeywood one.

3. Haha, I got a good laugh out of the monkeywood. It's actually monkeypod, which is nearly as funny.

4. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    Does this qualify as a single cut? It sure isn't double cut away.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    Sweet bass Akito! Yours and Oddio's fretless wal inspired the bass i'm about to have built.

P.S.: Kill evil swiftly. Famous words of Saito Hajime no? :D

6. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    What bass are you having built and by whom? Details, details!
    Sin Swift Slay, or Kill Evil Instantly. I've heard many a translation. Regardless of which is technically correct, the spirit comes through hehe. This sounds like a discussion for Off Topic though.

7. Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    Well i guess i can spill some of the beans a few days early. I'm ordering a Valenti :ninja:

8. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    http://bryanrtyler.web.aplus.net/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/fretlessfullest.jpg[/IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ahhh..my old singlecut fretless Elrick! Damn, that was a nice bass! That is, by the way, the FIRST production SC that Rob ever did...I egged him into it! Killer tone with the pink ivory fingerboard...in fact, I have a pink ivory lined fretless four coming from Mark Eshenbaugh! I KNEW I should have ordered it in a 4...that would have been a "go to my grave" bass!

9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    No offense, but I'm glad you didn't ;) The thing weighs about two ounces less than nothing. And now that it's got the Barts in it, it really has the sound I like. I've found it's a very sensitive bass...small setup changes alter the tone quite a bit.

Thanks for egging him into it...it may be because of you that I have three of his singlecuts now. He told me that he still has the first singlecut he ever made...I wonder what it looks like :confused:

10. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Not mine, this is Pete Skjold's bass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Beautiful Skjold. You know, the idea of a single cut bolt-on never really made sense to me until I saw a few and started to really think about it. The single cut neck throughs that are attached to the neck can be problematic, since one side of the neck is held solid and the other side is allowed to move (Chris Stambaugh talks about this on his site). My first Fodera was a single cut, and had this problem... the neck above the 12th fret getting somewhat 'twisted' from the B string side to the G string side (BTW... the Fodera guys took it back and built another for me).

Most luthier's that I've talked to feel that the real sonic impact of a single cut has much more to do with the additional mass rather than any sort of coupling to the neck.

So.... it seems the bolt-on single cut might be the best of all worlds.... additional mass of the body while still keeping the main part of the body small, the look of a single cut (if that's what you like!), and no possible negatives associated with having part of the neck attached to the body, etc.

Pretty cool... I love that extremely small Skjold body.

12. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I actually prefer his standard shape, both singlecut and double (But Pete's own is just damn purdy hehe). The standard has a slightly smaller body cause the lower bout near the back doesnt cut back.

13. here's one of mine :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and another one I really like, Spruce & Cedar chambered:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    They're good in my books! Bryan's fretless Elrick is one of my favourite basses on this site!

15. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
    This is what I'm talking about, a bass like this one must be on
    the winner podium of this Thread!

[​IMG]

16. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Not mine, but my favourite bass in the entire world. I believe it's owned by a fellow TBer. I'm so jealous of whoever owns it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    Man this thread is giving me all kinds of GAS...must resist...atleast until for a while :ninja:

18. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I'm lovin' this FBB to pieces .........

[​IMG]

19. OwO

OwO

Apr 23, 2004
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Thanks Owo !

Let's not forget Cliff's parrallel chamber bass!

[​IMG]

Peace,
    JP