Singlecut help

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Worshiper, Oct 2, 2004.

1. Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    Can anybody tell me what is the best or easiest way to cut out and shape the back of the neck where the "upper horn" attatches to the neck? I have, yet again, changed some plans of mine for my new custom bass. I want to know if it is practical to make a singlecut though-I really like the style.
    Thanks a bunch
  2. Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I found this great pic on the web that may help.

3. Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    actually no,but thanks anyway..I'm talking about where the upperhorn meets the 12th fret and on. In order to reach these frets you need to carve out the back of the neck a bit. Here's a picture of what I mean
  4. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    I would suspect that different builders have different methods that they prefer to do the neck access area on a single cut bass.

I like to work with hand tools as much as possible, and therefore I do mine using a nice, sharp chisel and a mallet to start.

First, I cut the rear neck profile out on a bandsaw, including the neck heel. Then I glue the body wings on, and then bring the shape of the body wings in line with the neck heel using the chisel and mallet approach.

Once I have the basic shape down and fairly leveled out, I use a spindle sanding attachment on a simple hand drill to do the final roughing out. From there I finish it off by hand with sanding blocks and starting at around 80 grit paper on up until I'm happy with the final shape and contour.

I highly suspect that some of the bigger shops that produce more basses than me probably have some type of jig with an overhead router or CNC machine that does the initial rough carving out of this area. My process can be time consuming, but I'm a small shop and again, I prefer working with my hands as much as possible.

5. teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    Don't know if this helps but Carey Nordstrand has a short step-by-step photo essay-thingy on how he carves out his single-cut upper bouts. Scroll down a bit in the "What's new" category to get to it:

6. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Chisel, file and hand sanding.
    Lots of fun! And lots of patience... :D
  7. TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    I used router and 'electric file'. It wasn't easy and does not look good. :-\