Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Singlecut or Doublecut?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Alex, Jan 1, 2006.

1. Just wondering what everyone prefers/thinks looks cooler.

2. Name one good singlecut mass production bass.

3. Les Pauls are one thing, but for the most part electric guitars of any kind just look better double cut in my opinion. The JP and Nordstrom (spelling is wrong I'm sure I don't even know if that's the name) single cut basses are not bad though.

4. +1

5. It doesn't have to be mass production. Just your ideal bass design.

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Definately singlecuts.

Why? Do you mean that as a way to determine which look better?

7. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I went with the single cut. I like 'em both, but something about the way the single cut looks in bass, I really dig it.

8. Singlecuts just look so classy. I can't describe it. I think that big companies should consider a mass production model singlecut for under $1k or so. To get a singlecut nowadays you need to lay down big $ for a custom or boutique bass.

9. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    Be wary of good looks!
    Unless they are very carefully designed and made, there can be serious issues with a singlecut bass.
    Especially in the way it affects the neck. One side is anchored more than the other and can result in neck problems (warping, twisting, etc.) I'm sure others will be able to better articulate it than I can, especially in the luthiers forums but I've had more than one custom builder discuss the pros and cons of singlecuts with me and I'll take the double cut every time!

10. [​IMG]
    single-cut

[​IMG]
    double-cut

i personally prefer the double cut more.

11. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    It really depends on the bass IMO. I find Elricks to be very hot as singlecuts, but there's lots of singlecuts I hate.

12. Collin.A

Collin.A

Jun 22, 2005
    Ibanez Artcore

13. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    I second that. Not Elricks in particular, but while I find the majority of singlecuts to be ugly, some of my favorite designs are singlecuts. They can be the best and the worst.

14. Those aren't the only 2 basses to choose from...

15. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I like both and am content playing either as long as they're good basses..

But I love single-cuts...

[​IMG]

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

16. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My basses are doublecut but i cna appreciate a nice singlecut. The problem is that most singlecuts are custom basses and not everyone can afford them. I could afford one (just one..) if i worked my behind off but im equally as happy with Ernie Ball basses. To me, they do everything id want a custom to do, for around $1000-$1500.

That beind said, i used to own a production Singlecut, although it didnt extend to the 12th fret it was still a singlecut.

17. Holy **** those are ugly as hell!

Double for me.

18. I thought the same when I first started coming here(though I didn't voice it as strongly lol).

They have grown on me. Maybe not that particular one, but some stambaugh and CB-bass single cut 4 strings look great. I tend to like the more slim singcuts.

I still wouldn't own one, but I see their appeal now.

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Single-cuts other than Les Pauls look freaky to me, and not in a good way.

20. The Eristic

The Eristic Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Cartersville, GA