Singlecut Update

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Greg Johnsen, May 20, 2007.

1. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    Been a while hasn't it?

Well, first, let me explain why it has taken so long. 3 weeks ago, my neighbor went through major back surgery, and while in the hospital, some things went wrong (side affects, slow recovery), but the good thing is that he is doing quite well now. The surgery did what is was supposed to (fix back problems, hand problems, knee problems) but he just needs to build up some strength again (3 weeks in a hospital bed will take away ALOT of muscle). Anyways, he is doing much better, and as soon as he feels up to it, we will finish this bass!

However, just to appease you guys a little, I've included some pictures (taken from a nice camera this time!). I will hopefully be working with my neighbor next week, and we should hopefully have this thing finished in no time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enjoy! I know I do every time I look at it.

Greg

2. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    whoa, what a wide nut.

it also looks like your C string's running off the fretboard, could be parallax, i dont know.

Looks good otherwise!

3. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    Lol, well, the C string (and the B a little bit) do run off the edge. This however, gave me the idea of making my own bridge, which I will probably do for the fun of it, and to fix the spacing.

Thanks man

Greg

4. T2W

T2W

Feb 24, 2007
    Montreal, Canada.
    What kind of pups are you using on that Greg? Ill soon be doing that wooden Bridge tutorial, maybe it could give you a few ideas. Nice Job so far, original design ! Cya

5. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - Perú
    How are you going to cover the control cavity cos I see don't enough wood for a bolt??

Really nice bass.

About how much takes to finish your project, it doesn't matter... this is no race. Look at me, I have being doing few stops for several reasons and now I have a few months with my first project. In two weeks my sisters and cousins are coming back to Perú for vacations and that will mean that I'll stop again almost a month but I know that after that I will keep on with my project and I'll finish it. A plus is that inthe meanwhile I see other projects here and show me other ways to do some things.

6. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    Thanks guys

About the control cavity, it is quite crude, but it will work just fine for what it needs to be. We still have to route the edges and we won't be using bolts, we'll be using magnets to hold the cover on.

I'm using Bartolini G6 pickups, and they'll be very close together to get the sound I want to achieve.

I'm not in any rush whatsoever, I want this to be the best it can. I know how rushing things can royally screw something up!

Greg

7. doctorjazz

doctorjazz

Oct 22, 2006
    Wilmington, NC
    Isn't that a Hipshot A with adjustable spacing, or is the adjustment range not wide enough to get your strings back on the board?

8. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    I haven't figured out how to adjust spacing on it, if I do, I'm sure it'll be enough because the strings are right on the edge, a mm or so will bring it in enough

Greg

9. Dusty G

Dusty G

May 30, 2006
    I LOVE it!!!

10. This is what happens when you don't plan enough.

11. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    no, it's what happens when it's your first build and you didn't know that it would happen. Planning had nothing to do with it, everything fit the plan nicely.

Greg

12. that didn't happen on my first build, or the first build of most of the people in here. But hey, it's your thing, do what you wanna do.

13. DigthemLows

DigthemLows Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2003
    Sacramento CA
    I would change the spacing at the nut too, there's a lot of space on the outside edge of each string. It will bother you in the long run. The carving looks great and the woods are pretty. Wilser is right about planning, if you had the bridge before you started you could plan the cut the taper to fit the spacing. That thing will be a machine when it's done I'm sure.......doug

14. that grass looks nice to lay on......

beautiful bass fella, nice choice of woods.

15. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Cool shape and a nice looking heel, too. The maple accent under the top looks funky, but I hate light colored veneers under dark tops unless there is the same wood somewhere in the body (similar to Alembics).

Are you going to fix the width at the nut? It looks like the frets should be removed and the neck recarved to removed the tapering excess on both sides. That's a lot of width at the nut! Although it looks like you just need a narrower bridge in total, it's really easy with the Hipshot you have. The third screw on each saddle (the unpaired one; bottom right on the top of each saddle) is the set screw for the cylindrical "roller" piece. It's easier to adjust with the string detuned because the string pressure will make it harder to push the cylinder in it's bore. Make sure to retighten the set screw. It only takes about 5 seconds a piece.

Have you drilled the holes for the plate anchor screw for the tuners yet? They're all misaligned, but I'm guessing you just threw them on for the picture.

16. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    Ok, a few explanations...

The width at the nut is not the final width, It's not completely carved yet so it will slim down a little and be more...normal looking/feeling.

I'll try the string spacing screw and see if that helps, if not, I get to put my bridge design to the test.

I know how important planning is, and I tried and tried to get a good straightforward plan, but there's always just a little something that is different than planned, but alot of times they're easy to fix.

Thanks for the ideas/help/comments, I'll take everything into consideration, and yah, the heel is one of my favorite parts of this bass.

Greg

17. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Wait, then why did you fret it?

18. no, you don't understand ...that was part of the plan.

19. T2W

T2W

Feb 24, 2007
    Montreal, Canada.
    HAHAHHAHAHAAAA, I agree, plans are a good idea. Especially with AutoCad, you can really get a very good idea of the instrument, and youll know right away what dimensions you need for the neck taper. Determine width nut, string spacing, leave 3 or 4mms between the string and the edge of the board and voila ! Autocad is great for that !

20. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    Ouch wilser.

Just the end is gonna get taper a little more, it'll flow in straight and will be fine by the first fret.

Greg

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021