1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Singlecut... Why?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by edbutler3, Mar 14, 2008.

1. I've seen pics on this forum of many high-end custom basses built using the "singlecut" design. Is there a point to this other than the distinctive look? Does it help prevent neck-dive perhaps?

2. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    Looks only. All else is self-justification. :smug:

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I agree. The biggest advantage: if you like your bass to have a blingy figured top wood, then a singlecut will show it off better.

Aside from that, it's something different to look at. And that's cool, because variety's a wonderful thing.

4. I am certain that the first high end bass to come in a single cutaway design was the Fodera Contrabass Guitar that Vinnie Fodera and Joey Lauricella at Fodera Guitars developed for Anthony Jackson at the end of the 80s. At the time, there were reasons behind the design in terms of B string focus, or something along those lines.

The bass featured a nice maple top, but nothing overly blingy that I can remember.

If I remember correctly, there is more about it in the 1990 two-part Anthony Jackson interview by Chris Jisi, published on Bass Player. You might want to search further, there is also a mention of it on Wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Jackson

All the Bass,
    Renato "vstrings"

PsyDocHill likes this.
  5. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    Ken Lawrence disagrees with you - and I know who has a LOT more credibility....

Ken feels the singlecut braces the neck a bit and allows better transfer of vibrations, making the overtones a bit more present.

Dan K.

6. Illbay

Illbay

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Because they can.

FWIW, you might as well ask "why the horn?"

7. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Not saying that Ken Lawrence is full of bull, but it wouldn't be the first time that a luthier tried to sell us a bill of goods based mostly on voodoo. I would like to see proof of this before I believe it. And even if it can be proved, then the question is "Does it really matter?"

8. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    I believe Gibson actually did the first and really we could go back to Hofner and then maybe even look further back at Uprights :bag: :D stirring stirring.....

9. steve4765630

steve4765630

Feb 27, 2006
    I just think they look cool. I don't know if there's a big difference in the sound. More contact with the neck maybe? Who knows?

10. dblbass

dblbass Commercial User

Mar 24, 2007
    Beacon, NY
    Owner of MBJ guitars, Maker of fine sawdust for Carl Thompson Guitars
    people make single cuts for a few reasons. first to make the bass heavy. also to make adjusting the truss rod nearly impossible and to sell you a bunch of crap that it helps with sustain or tone or somethin like that.

11. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    My thoughts exactly. What's the point with double cut? That upper cutaway serves no purpose at all, does it?

12. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    bad analogy, as horns usually sound quite bad, where as many single cut basses sound good (IMO)

I think in the AJ case it may have had something to do with likening it to a jazz guitar which often are single cuts...maybe??

13. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    I'm sure you have scientific proof to back that statement up...right? Right?

Thought so.

14. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    If we view the bass as a complex vibrating system, I feel inclined to believe that there is an effect there, in terms of more mass on the system. How much this added bass affects tone is something I just don't know (from a little to virtually nothing maybe???). Listen to the difference between a 16" crush and a 18" crush and then think a 18" crush to an 18" car tyre rim. The example I've given is extreme but I feel there is an effect there (slight to non-existing though IMHO)

PS I own Ken's (Lawrence) personal Brase I. It has the most explosive sound and unbelievable growl. Is it the heavy Northern Ash body? is it the set neck? is it the single-cut that makes the difference? I don't know. But I know the end result and it is great

15. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Do I think it's possible that the extra added mass of a singlecut makes a difference in tone? Absolutely. Do I think that extra added mass makes a positive difference in tone? Depends on your frame of reference. Do I think it matters in the least to anyone who isn't playing it whether you're playing a Fodera singlecut or an SX P Junior? Absolutely not.

My advice to anyone who think any of this stuff matters in the least is to buy a bass you like, learn how to play it as well as you can, and stop busting everyone else's balls because they have different tastes than you.

16. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    The upper horn helps balance the bass preventing neck dive, by finding it's center of gravity

17. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Perhaps you should read the complete post and not stop before the all important "IMO".
    If you had you would not ask for some "scientific proof".
    I suppose you have such "scientific proof" to back up yours...but wait-you didnt make a statement, just gripe about mine.

Get back to me when you have read the complete post...alright? Alright?
    Until then, I stand by what I said.

As to the proof-which given my initial post would not really be required any how, I can say- I have played Many single cut instruments. I have also used Many cabs of different designs.
    This is the basis for the opinion I voiced, call it what you will.

But as said before, I suggest you read a complete post before starting to gripe at him or her who has posted it.

18. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Good question...right?

I just got a Single Cut 6 and I feel (compared to my Thumb 6 neck dive) like it helps keep the center of balance to the right of the 12th fret. It might just be just a better balanced bass, though. I also feel it might be a bit more resonant. Hard to tell since this is my first.

BUT I F***ING LOVE IT!!

Alan

19. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Ah, the amazing IMO! I prefer YMMV myself.

My point in posting what I posted wasn't to make you look foolish, although I guess it came across that way, and I apologize. My point was that there is so much voodoo involved with these different designs of basses that it really doesn't add up to a hill of beans in the long run. What counts is how it sounds, and if it sounds great and makes someone feel like playing more, that's wonderful. But there are so many claims of sonic improvement in equipment design without even a shred of concrete proof, and sometimes the hype is so great that I feel compelled to call BS on it. Sorry if that offends people, but hey...

20. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    How about some zero cuts?

PsyDocHill likes this.