1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Singlecut With Carvin NT neck

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Texan, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast. Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I'm toying around with building a singlecut 4 string and using the Carvin NT "Pre-made" neck. Has anyone done this and if so, is there enough "meat on the Carvin to properly glue the wings? I'm wanting to use the Carvin because the neck is the part that I really fear screwing up. :bag:

2. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I am not a luthier, but that sounds like a great idea to me.

3. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    The Carvin Necks are made to accomodate bodies as thick as 1 3/4". If you are handy, and have an understanding of how to do a neckthrough youshould be fine. BUT understand that the carvin NT necks only have a specific amount of central core to mount the body to, and probably not enough for a single cut without some modification to the body design. Other than that they are very good quality, and very easy to work with.

4. Jandrew

Jandrew

Nov 15, 2010
    Framingham, Ma
    I have a Carvin NT neck. It would be difficult to design a Singlecut body. The back of the neck is contoured already all the way down to 19-20 fret. It does not leave much room for the top part of the bass. You may have balance issues.

5. Texan, I can't seem to remember your Profile Picture once I look away, it's quite frustrating.

and ^ This, that's my concern. Are there any other premade NT necks out there?

6. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast. Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Houston, TX
    If you like, send me a pic of you and I'll make it my avatar!!! ;)

This was my concern too and exactly why I posted this thread. I may just have to get creative or put the single cut on hold.

7. MrArose13

MrArose13 Commercial User

Aug 15, 2011
    Atlanta Georgia
    Owner/Luthier:RoseBud Basses & Guitars LLC
    It can be done. I recently completed a singlecut bolt on for a customer at my work who had a neck (not sure who made the neck) and wanted a body built. We used a router to make a chamfer on the bass side of the neck, grafted a pice of matching wood and sculpt to fit. It was nerve-racking. I imagine a NT could be done in a similar way, but... different...:meh: IMO it would be less stress and time to build a whole neck, but that's MO. Good luck with what ever you choose to do, and be sure to tell us all about it. :p