1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

sinister minister

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by thehangingmist, Apr 14, 2009.

1. am trying to learn this song and i have hit a roadblock here, i just cant get how wooten plays this part, i am looking through videos but its still a mystery. is it a rake? or thumb pluck pluck thumb or what?:confused:
    please help

the part am talking about begins at 0:56 in this vid, its not wooten playing but it much more of a help visually

2. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Pop with your index and middle fingers. The first time that happens is on a power chord so slap the root, pop the fifth with your index finger, the octave with your middle finger and then the root again with your thumb. Think of the last three as a triplet.

Also, sorry, new to this side of the forums, so you should probably do a search first...

3. I'm probably waaaaaaaay off, but it looks/sounds like he's doing a double stop using the thumb to thump one note and the index finger to pop another. Either that, or playing these notes in EXTREMELY quick succession.

Edit: Hey! I wasn't that far off after all! :smug:

4. yep thats what i think it is and the guitar pro file also confirms it. but i cant get it to sound like it is :confused: am pulling my hair apart on this. maybe am hitting the second thumb late
    anyway i did search before i posted the thread

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    The way it was shown to me-

It's Open Hammer Plucks w/ a lot of fretting hand coordination thrown in for good measure.

Example:
    Thumb the OPEN A
    Use FRETTING HAND to Hammer on the "D" note (5th fret/A-string)
    Thumb that same "D" Note (in a downward motion...not a motion that is into the bass' body).

Next-
    HAMMER the "A" (7th fret/D-string...using fretting hand's ring finger)
    Thumb the same note

Next-
    HAMMER the "D" (7th fret/G-string...using the fretting hand's pinky)
    Thumb the same note

Finish with an upward pluck/pop on the G-string using the plucking hand's INDEX & MIDDLE fingers (the 'flam' effect).

Repeat in the "F" position (8th fret)

Naturally, the trick is to get it smooth so that the plucking hand's THUMB is a fraction behind the HAMMER-ON notes.