Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sinlge pup Bongo

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Can anyone tell me what the single pup Bongos sound like? I want to know because my local dealer can get me a single pup Bongo 5 $200-300 cheaper than a new Stingray 5. I know the Bongo has a four band eq and no coil splitter swtch. It also seems that the Bongo'a pickup is a little further from the bridge than the SR5's. Someone, somewhere has heard one of these beauties. Give me a description of a sound clip please. :)

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Actually, if you aren't getting the piezo bridge, then the single humbucker Bongo only has a 3 band EQ.

3. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Thanks for the info. Someone please let me in on how the single pup Bongo sounds.

4. Dr Cheese.

I own a single H Bongo. The bass to my ear sounds better than my past Dual HH Bongo. Mine is strong in the mids, since the p/u is closer to the neck than a StingRay 5. The low B is full and powerful all the way down. The high end isnt as brittle as a StingRay 5. Its a more refined sounding bass than the StingRay 5, but is still agressive.
    I guess the best way to describe it is by saying that it sounds better than a good P-Bass on Steriods.

5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Thanks so much!!! If it is a sort of P-bass sound, I could very much live with that. I'm sure it has more highs than the P-bass, and I could live with a less "pingy" sound than a Stingray, although I love Stingrays. I am really considering ordering one because, as I mentioned, the price is right. My local dealer can get me a single pup five new for under $1,200 which is $100-300 cheaper than most new SR5s.

6. Ive owned TONS of other EBMM basses and the Single H Bongo is my favorite.