Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sir Paul reference on CBS

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by TheListPunk, Jan 6, 2004.

1. TheListPunk

TheListPunk Guest

Feb 2, 2002
    Topeka, Kansas
    Since nobody else has mentioned it or saw it yet on here, I guess I'll say something about it.

On Monday, I was watching 2 and a Half Men on CBS and Charlie's housekeeper had a younger guest,her name was Prudence, in the house to help out with the housework. Since it being TV, she was very attractive and young.

Skip ahead, Charlie was playing the piano and she asked him if he was in a band. He answered no and she replied, "I used to date this guy in a band, he was a bassist and wrote this song for me. It was called Dear Prudence."

Me, not being the biggest Beatles fan immediately thought of Jaco but then I thought the writing thing and about how many people would actually get a Jaco joke. So, I settle on it being a McCartney reference.

josh
    found it interesting

2. Yeah, me and my girlfriend were watching that, and I got all distracted and went on a ramble about the White Album... she managed to get me to hush, though;) .

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    No. Not blaming you
    ...I'm blaming the show's writers & techincal experts or lack thereof.
    ;)
    First off, "Dear Prudence" is a Lennon song.
    True, the credits say Lennon/McCartney; by the time of The Beatles(AKA The White Album), they were all doing thier own thing.

"Prudence" was actually Mia Farrow's sister...Lennon wrote it while the two were in Marakesh, India seeing the 'celebrity guru'.
    "Prudence" elected to 'stay inside & not come out & play' 'cause she was taking the meditation thing to the extreme(?).

4. I had always heard that "Prudence" had either gotten very depressed or on some weird "mind expanding" herbs and was suicidal, and that's why the song has so much positive imagery (not that suicide is positive, I mean in an effort to cheer her up).

One of my favorite Beatles bass lines on that one...

5. Actually, the way JimK described it is how I remember that song as well.

I hardly watch that show but just so happened to be watching it that night and I thought the same thing- that's a John Lennon song. It was still kind of funny, though.

...and Paul's bass line in that song is simply awsome!:)

6. :oops: Well, what should I expect when I get my info from a VH1 special:) .

7. TheListPunk

TheListPunk Guest

Feb 2, 2002
    Topeka, Kansas
    Thank you wise ones for your wisdom and correction.

josh
    needs to brush up on this stuff

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Hmmm.
    Maybe it was 'medication'...not 'meditation'.
    ;)

When I get home I'll look it up(Revolution In The Head has a brief blow-by-blow account of each Beatles' tune).

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    From Ian MacDonald's Revolution In The Head-

"...'Dear Prudence' depicts the mental dilemma of its subject, Mia Farrow's sister, who, made hypersensitive by too much meditation, found herself unable to leave her chalet in Rishikesh & had to be coaxed out by Lennon..."

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    From Steve Turner's A Hard Days Write-

"Prudence was Prudence Farrow...the song was a plea to her to come out from her excessively long periods of meditation & relax with the rest of the group".

Next time you're in Barnes & Noble, find this book & flip to Pg. 151; more interesting comments regarding Prudence by Lennon & Paul Horn.